Used 24" Cinema Display, new Dell U2410 or something else?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by richy d, Jan 24, 2011.

1. richy d macrumors member

I recently purchased a macbook pro & currently own a pc. I currently have a samsung syncmaster T220 which Ive ben very happy with on my PC... well I got myself a minidisplay port to DVI converter to use the macbook pro with it as well, but the picture is simply not sharp enough using my macbook.... after a bit of internet research its been suggested that the loss of clarity could be due to converting from minidisplay to dvi.. as Im intending on using the macbook pro more with the monitor than the PC, its important that the picture is sharp.

After more research & also looking at my budget, I have narrowed down to the 2 monitors in the title.. as the dell has both inputs for minidisplay and also dvi, this would be an advantage as wouldnt need to use a switcher.... however the big advantage that the cinema display has is the connectors that can plug straight into my MBP which would make things a bit neater on the desk, plus there would be no conversion for the MBP going to the monitor.

Any advise would be much appreciated!

2. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

I'm not too sure about any issues regarding connecting the ACD to a pc, but I thought I'd let you know about my experience with a U2410 connected to my 2010 mbp:

There is a very annoying problem of the monitor not turning on when it connected to the mbp. Often, I'd have to unplug the mini-displayport cable from the mbp and at times the monitor itself before it turns back on. This is not an issue with a pc, however.

The antiglare coating is also very aggressive on the Dell. With dark images/games it looks really great, but if you work with text documents or other white backgrounds there is a sparkle effect where the text is just not sharp. Pros of the Dell are the connectivity and ergonomics (adjustable height, etc.) This would be a big plus as you will have two computers connected to the same monitor.

fyi: You could use monoprice for a cheap displayport/mini-dp cable
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10246&cs_id=1024606&p_id=6006&seq=1&format=2

I actually just bought a 27" ACD over the weekend. The image looks much better to my eyes. Its very sharp and if you have no windows directly behind you for glare, I'd recommend the ACD.

3. richy d thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Vitr.. actually I also read other user reviews of the U2410 talking about the sparkle & also the aggressive antiglare coating... but now you have mentioned the powering on problem I think I will steer clear... in my setup I dont have a window behind me so shouldnt get the glare problem (that has been mentioned in some user reviews).... my uses apart from general word processing, excel etc is music production

4. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

5. jenzjen macrumors 68000

My 2c, go with the ACD. I used to swear by the U2410, but I got a 27" ACD in the last week and absolutely have no regrets now selling off the U2410. The 24" ACD will be just as nice.

6. dougeb macrumors newbie

I purchased a refurbished 24" Apple Display & am extra pleased with it. If I knew what I know now, I would have bought a 15" MBP instead of the 17". Connection is easy, MBP stays closed & sound is good.

7. menonitarocker macrumors member

anyone knows where i can buy a new , or mint 24'' cinema display ?

i dont like ebay so . anyone ?

8. jenzjen macrumors 68000

New will be tough, but I absolutely would get it from the Apple refurbished store - from Apple, like new condition and come with the same warranty as a brand new unit. I just picked one up myself in the last couple months.

9. menonitarocker macrumors member

they are selling only the 27''

10. 3282868, Jan 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

3282868 macrumors 603

I bought a 24" LED LCD from Apple over a year ago at full price back when the iMac had the same 24" panel (replaced a dying 7 year old 23" CCFL LCD). Great display, unlike some I don't need a dozen connections and bells and whistles like DVI/HDMI/8 USB ports/SD card slots/etc. For the money, it was a great buy and works perfectly with my Mac Pro (no calibration necessary).

Last Fall I bought two 24" Dell's very inexpensively to flank my 24" LED LCD. They were awful, bad pixels, uneven panels, etc. Dell has a great return policy and I got a full refund. I decided on grabbing a refurbished 24" LED LCD and have a great dual display setup.

My advice: get a 24" if you can find one, or the 27" (and use an education discount, Apple doesn't check ;) ).

UPDATE: There are quite a few on eBay:
    http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...&_nkw=apple+24"+led&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Amazon is selling new models, but for almost the same price point as the 27"

11. jenzjen macrumors 68000

You have to keep checking, inventory changes daily.

12. menonitarocker macrumors member

didnt know that.
    i will , thanks !

13. dimme macrumors 65816

I do photoretouching and need the a wide color gamut so LED display was out. I got the Dell U2410 and it is working out very well. I have it connected to a macpro with DVi and have no problems. I did try a mini display port to display port cable from mono price. It work fine except if you shut off the monitor while the computer is running. I ask about the problem on Dell's support page and the conclusion was the cable, people have better luck with the apple MDP to DP adapter.

If you do go with the Apple display get a refurbished one from Apple. I would not by a second hand monitor.

14. richy d thread starter macrumors member

So what was happening if you shut the monitor off whilst having computer on?.. Im still undecided at the moment on what to do, but have changed my mind about going the used route for the cinema display & instead would go for apple refurb to be safer, which balances things out a bit with regards to my choice as its harder to get refurb apple cinema 24 at the moment.

15. Vitr macrumors member

Vitr

I think this was the same issue I was having (also used the same monoprice cable). When you turn the monitor off with the cable plugged in, it simply refuses to turn back on. You have to disconnect (sometimes the power as well, both the Dell and mbp plugged into the same power bar), turn on the monitor, and then reconnect everything. It got annoying. If it is only a cable issue, then it could be avoided.

16. FluJunkie macrumors 6502a

Man I wish they'd bring the 24 inch ACD back.

17. dimme macrumors 65816

You have to disconnect the display port cable from the Monitor, then reconnect.
    I don't know if it was a cheap cable. I just went to DVI and all is well. From what I read in not a Dell problem because it happens on NEC monitors also.

18. richy d thread starter macrumors member

Just as an update, I managed to find a good deal on a dell U2311 so thought I would take the plunge (as was a lot cheaper than the 24" version)...

Well I love the design & flexibility of inputs etc & especially the adjustability of the monitor itself with both height & tilt adjustment... however the sparkle effect is killing me... Im going to have to try and return it :( ...so that has at least crossed the dell off my list as I assume the 2410 has the same display...

Is there another monitor that have both dvi and displayport but without this sparkly effect?... I cant find 24" ACDs refurbed at the moment and the 27" is out of my price range

19. Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

I have a Mac Pro and a MBP, and i need monitors for both of them... but i only have one Dell 2405, and a really old 17" LG which is useless.

I had saved some money to buy audio gear for my studio, but yesterday my friend told me that Curry's in the UK had a 24" ACD for £379. It was boxed etc, and ex-display.

I took my MBP and plugged it in to test it - no dead pixels etc, so i bought it, and i'm really happy i did. Being able to 'dock' my MBP is awesome... and it's a joy to use. It's not 'accurate', and it's yellow-er than my calibrated dell when not at full brightness, but by no means a problem as it was a bargain and i intend to use it for 'admin' work so colour accuracy isn't a big issue on that screen - text looks lovely.

So i'd say that go for dell for any photo editing, graphics, apple for everything else!

20. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Im debating a refurb 27 for 849....that price isn't as bad as 999 or the 949 student price. But 850 for a used possibly repaired display makes me a little hesitant.

21. jenzjen macrumors 68000

22. menonitarocker macrumors member

yeah , thanks ! can't wait to use it !

23. richy d thread starter macrumors member

Wow, thats an absolute bargain!... even on ebay second hand ones were going for like £450... Ill have to add Currys to my list to check.