Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vista.john

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Just saw a local listing of 24 inch 2.8 GHz imac from previous generation, looks in excellent shape, less than a year old. The guy asks for 1000$ with box and all the accessories.

With student discount, the new one from previous generation costs around 1300 (on clearance).

Should I save 300$ and go for the used one??? Any suggestions?

thanks!

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Just saw a local listing of 24 inch 2.8 GHz imac from previous generation, looks in excellent shape, less than a year old. The guy asks for 1000$ with box and all the accessories.

With student discount, the new one from previous generation costs around 1300.

thanks!

Set up a meeting in a public place (important) with lots of people. Take a look at the iMac and if it looks good, then buy it.

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK

With student discount, the new one from previous generation costs around 1300.

thanks!

Chances are this other one has 2GB of RAM vs 4GB. The graphics card in the old one's dedicated but is probably about on a par as the new one (it might be the upgraded 8800 though). The old one probably has a 320GB drive versus the newer one's 640GB.

So you'd be paying an extra $300 for a slightly slower CPU (5% slower), double the RAM, double the hard drive space, a comparable graphics card and a year's warranty (with the option to extend the warranty to three years). If you think that's worth $300 then get the new one. Personally, I'd probably get the newer one.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Just want to add to my original post, buy the latest you can. In technology terms, never buy used products older than half a year. New technologies are released quickly, Apple being the fastest.

NRose8989

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2008
Just want to add to my original post, buy the latest you can. In technology terms, never buy used products older than half a year. New technologies are released quickly, Apple being the fastest.

By previous gen, do you mean "Penryn" or "Merom(i think?)". You usually can tell by the ram speed "800mhz vs. 667mhz". If it's the later then I'd say get new but if it's a penryn, I'd say get it.

This recent update was hardly a speed bump IMO and the considering the nVidia 9400 is still slower than the previous ATI 2600.

Check out the refurb store, I just picked up the Refurb 2.8 "Penryn" for $1199. Sure it's not faster (but not by much in terms of CPU) then the newest high end iMac, but I saved $800.

You also have to count in the performance of the 8800GS vs. ATI 2600, in which the 2600 performed BETTER than the 8800 for Core Image apps, but the 8800 stomps it in games.

From what I understand (which I may be false) is that the new GT130 is just a re-branded 9800 series GPU, and the 9800 series is slightly better than the 8800.

All in all, if you absolutely want to most power today, then get the new high end iMac with the ATI 4850 but it's going to cost you, and to me it wasn't worth the $800 premium for a slightly faster CPU and a way faster GPU. if not then I think the best value is the refurb 2.8 w/ ATI 2600.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.