Used 27" Thunderbolt Display, no picture, worth buying?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cheesoid, Apr 15, 2013.

1. cheesoid macrumors newbie

Wanted another opinion on this - there's a 27" Thunderbolt Display on eBay, where the seller says it has stopped working in the last week after someone young messed about on his mac - USB and charger work though.

Is it likely that this is some bad display settings and potentially a cheap buy, or does it sound like a genuine fault that should be avoided?

Iirc, when connected, these displays cannot be turned off, so that would lead me to thinking it is actually broke!

Your opinion would be great here! Thanks!

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

My guess is it is broken. Sounds a lot like an excuse a seller would post to get people to believe it is a software issue and not a hardware. Frankly if I had a 1k display that I thought had an OS software issue, I would reinstall OSX before dumping it for almost nothing on EBay.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

What kind of price are you talking about it? If it cheap enough it might be worth the adventure.

4. Mr Kram macrumors 68020

Mr Kram

exactly, just about everything has a right price. you should ask apple what the worst case scenario would be if you had to repair it.

5. cheesoid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.:) Yeah, I think is most likely more than just wrong settings in OSX. I dont have one to test, but from what i've seen, the display is always on when connected to the thunderbolt.
    Only possibility is incompatible resolution, but doubtful (Does preferences allow an incompatible resolution to be chosen? My guess is not).

Its currently at £330 (£900 new, for reference:)) could be a good fix, but not sure I want to risk it. Though i'm doing a masters in Electronic Engineering at uni, should really rise to the challenge! :rolleyes:

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Way too much money for the chance. I'd gamble $100 (or £100 even) but not a lot more than that.