used a good choice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Rosiepigs, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Rosiepigs macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a MacBook, but I'm not sure which. In that I'm only going to use it for minimal purposes--hitting the internet, Final Cut, Word, some games--I'm think i could get by by saving some money and getting a previous iteration. How far back can i safely go before there's a drop-off in power/quality? I'm pretty computer dumb, so what do I need in terms of RAM, etc? Thanks very much.

2. descartes macrumors 6502

check to see if it has applecare left. if it does, you dont have too much to worry about. max the ram is pretty cheap these days and changing out for a larger hard drive is a simple operation. In addition to warranty, check for physical damage though expect scratches. good luck in your search.

3. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

go last generation or two generations back for the pro line. and btw FC is not "minimal"...

4. Rosiepigs thread starter macrumors newbie

minimal?

It isn't? Thanks. Does that mean it uses tons of memory? Could I get a mac from a few year's back and get by with an earlier version of Final Cut? Or would I need to get the most current version? Would I need a current mac for that?

Would I need Pro or just regular macbook?

thanks very much. it seems like everyone and the mother uses Final Cut in LA, so I'm surprised to hear that it wasn't minimal.

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I would seriously consider a Pro if you're going to be using Final Cut. The MacBook doesn't even officially support FC, since the software calls for a graphics card. I've done some editing (iMovie) on my MacBook, and it's doable, but not a very pleasent experience.

I have a first-gen Blackbook, and have had no big problems (it has been suffering from the screen flickering issue, but I'm not sure that was ever resolved???). I would looking for a Core 2 Duo machine, since they support more RAM than the older Core Duo machines.