Used Airport Extreme/Express - up wireless storage - saving disk space

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tfb, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Tfb macrumors member

I would like to be able to access my usb hard drive via wifi so that I can manage a larger music/video library than I could comfortably keep on a macbook air.

Is it possible to use an airport extreme or airport express to do this, plugging in the hard drive to the AE? Is it simple to set up and to manage the itunes interface (including iPhone syncing) on the computer?

What is the earliest generation of the extreme or express you would recommend that would allow me do this? I would rather do this cheaply and get something off of craigslist or ebay.

Thank you!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, you can do that with an AirPort Extreme, but not the AirPort Express, as the USB port on the Express is only for a printer.

Uses for the USB port of Time Capsule, AirPort Extreme, AirPort Express

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

3. robgendreau macrumors 68040

If you are dealing with music and video you might want to consider speed; you could probably find an older Extreme out there but if the wifi is not up to N speeds you might be disappointed in the performance.

The refurbs can often be a good deal too.

4. n0cus macrumors 6502

I would say to go with is the 4th generation of AirPort Extreme, because you get final wireless n.

5. Tfb thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! What does 'draft' wireless n mean anyway? What is the difference between the draft and final?

6. n0cus macrumors 6502

Draft n is single band while final n is dual band.