Used antibacterial chemcial to clean trackpad - bad idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leonmark, Oct 4, 2009.

1. Leonmark macrumors newbie

I was really dumb and cleaned my trackpad with an antibacterial cleaner. I feel like it ruined my trackpad and made it a tad bit unresponsive. Could it have ruined it or am I just imagining things? and would warrenty do something about it?
    thanks

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you spray chemicals on the trackpad they will void your warranty.
    Chemicals are the enemy of electronics.

3. Leonmark thread starter macrumors newbie

how would they know if they sprayed a chemical on it? and could lysol effect my trackpad? i barely sprayed but I feel as if its different. then again, i could be overreacting.

4. talbalos macrumors newbie

It's generally a bad idea to use alcohol based cleaning products on plastics used for most consumer electronics. Either the alcohol or additives may actually cause the plastic to break down.

5. Leonmark thread starter macrumors newbie

6. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

It is actually glass. If you got the cleaner inside the cracks it may have done some damage. If the trackpad texture feels different try using a wet tissue or something to rub it off.

7. Leonmark thread starter macrumors newbie

it feels harder to glide my finger across the trackpad..or is that just because it's cleaner?

8. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

It has got to be because it is cleaner or because the cleaner left some kind of residue behind, try cleaning with just water and see if that helps. If not, it'll be dirty again before you know it lol.