Used Apple Pay at Walgreens with a Credit Card

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by keatth, Nov 28, 2014.

1. keatth macrumors 6502

First opened passbook and they scanned my walgreens card. Then i locked my phone put it up to the sensor, selected the credit card and it went through right away and the only button I had to push on the menu was denying a donation. I ecstatic. Idk if you know but the walgreens checkout process is a little ridiculous if you use debit.

2. wxman2003 Suspended

I have used my debit card with ApplePay at Walgreens. Pretty simple. Just put my phone up against the scanner, used touch ID on the iPhone, and selected credit instead of debit on the their scanner. That's the only extra step needed vs using credit card with ApplePay.

3. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Thanks for sharing. After checking my passbook atm card, I noticed I still had to verify it w my bank app. I obviously haven't tried apple pay but intend on making a trip to panera bread to try it. Stumbled upon a handy categorized expenditure list on my Wells Fargo app - super cool. Never noticed it before.

4. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

thats not true, at least not in California. I have to put my phone to the scanner, hit touch id, put in my pin, deny a donation, confirm the total. Like wtf? Im done wasting my precious life on the walgreens checkout menu.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same here.
    I used it yesterday with Applepay using my debit on file with my 6 Plus and brought me to a donation screen after too. Like WTF?
    And after that it also asked me if I wanted cashback so there was 2 options I had to click No on.

6. dyt1983, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

edit: To remove personally identifying info not relevant to the conversation.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you.
    Debit card fees are way less compared to credit so most will ask for it or try to force it as debit without giving you a choice in order for them to save money on merchant services fees.
    The thing about having to click no or $5, $10, $25 donation options each time is very annoying though. And with walgreens its also there on credit purchases.
    Im sure many accidentally hit those donation buttons all the time since those buttons are big and green and the no donation option is small and in red color.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

That's one reason I don't live in Kalifornia even though I was born there.

9. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I tried it at walgreens for the first time and I did not choose what card but I had to enter my pin number. it is a debit card though so don't know.

10. Traverse macrumors 603

Traverse

This is interesting. I bank with a credit union so I can't use my debit card, but I do have a credit card....

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

I haven't been to Walgreens so I'm not sure what their terminals look like but when it ask for your pin, can't you just hit the Red or Cancel button to make it go to credit or give you the credit option or just tell the cashier it's credit and let them hit the button on the register?

12. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

On the Walgreens process, while I agree donation prompts are annoying as is application selection (credit/debit) I find it shocking how many people online complain about having to confirm the total!

Frankly, I believe this prompt should be MANDATORY - because it's a great way to do a quick "sanity check" and be sure you're not being overcharged - or to stop the transaction if you realise you're about to be overcharged. ESPECIALLY useful when travelling as it's a chance to deny a transaction if a merchant tried to hit you with forced DCC.

13. dyt1983, Dec 2, 2014

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

14. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

The total displayed is NOT necessarily the amount that'll be charged to the card. DCC is the most notable example of this. An amount confirmation prompt is the perfect chance to say "wait! what? NO WAY!" to DCC.

15. dyt1983, Dec 3, 2014

dyt1983 macrumors 65816

16. AllieNeko macrumors 6502a

The others I can think of would be "donations" and "service charges" in some settings that could be tossed on the bill after you see a subtotal on the screen. Or, another egregious one, a credit card fee tacked on once you swipe a card.

Trust me, a prompt verifying the total amount to be actually put on the card is a good thing and worth two seconds of time. I think shops should be required to have it, personally.

17. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Impressed a clerk

Went into Walgreens at 3 AM today.
    At the check out when the total was presented I took out my phone held close to the symbol it immediately accepted it and I put the phone back in my pocket. The clerk then told me the total and I smiled at him and said but I've already paid.
    He smiled and said 'that's the first time I've seen this - pretty impressive'
    End of story.

18. keatth thread starter macrumors 6502

I went to a different Walgreens in my area and this time it was smooth. I added a credit card and all I did was open passbook and they scanned my Walgreens card then held my phone out and used Apple pay. That was it! No donation question, no confirm total no pin number. Still pretty ecstatic.