Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kim2272

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 23, 2010
Sunshine State
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out if this is a good deal or not. Someone at my college is selling a used base model Macbook and they are willing to sell it to me for $950. They have only had it for 2 months or so. I currently have a 2013 rMBP and wanted something more portable since I start PA school in May. Do you think this is a good price? I am concerned apple will drop the price on the next model like they did with the rMBP. Thanks!

Queen6

macrumors G4
No I think you could pick up an "open box" for same or less, if you really want it offer $800 cash and say what you think that Apple will drop the price on the next release. The base model will depreciate the most on the next refresh, as it will simply be less attractive.

Q-6

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
new ones were 999 during the holidays. for a 2 month old used one, id say 850-900 is a good deal. 950 is fine if he throws in a couple adapters or something.

phillyboy82

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Not from Philly
"Good" used prices are around $950ish +/- $25 on eBay, so I would see if he would drop another $50 or so for dealing locally. $800 is too low IMO.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Last edited:

Fancuku

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2015
PA, USA
Hey everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me figure out if this is a good deal or not. Someone at my college is selling a used base model Macbook and they are willing to sell it to me for $950. They have only had it for 2 months or so. I currently have a 2013 rMBP and wanted something more portable since I start PA school in May. Do you think this is a good price? I am concerned apple will drop the price on the next model like they did with the rMBP. Thanks!
$999 brand new with no sales tax unless you live in NY.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1128855-REG/apple_mjy32ll_a_12_macbook_early_2015.html

Reactions: Queen6

phillyboy82

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
Not from Philly
$800 is a good now, in a few months barely average, as rMB refresh is coming and very possibly why this notebook is being sold now to maintain maximum value. "If you don't ask, you don't get"...

$999 new from B&H Photo...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2015-macbook-for-999-00-from-b-h-photo.1955909/

Q-6

I really don't think that they will slide below $800 as an "average" in a few months when you look at resale prices for other retina Macbook (...Pros) and the Apple refurb price . My opinion, of course. My "good" in quotes was more being sarcastic as eBay prices are always inflated :p

Nice link on the sale though, $300 off isn't anything to sneeze at.

Reactions: Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
I really don't think that they will slide below $800 as an "average" in a few months when you look at resale prices for other retina Macbook (...Pros) and the Apple refurb price . My opinion, of course. My "good" in quotes was more being sarcastic as eBay prices are always inflated :p

Nice link on the sale though, $300 off isn't anything to sneeze at.

Refresh is coming next month or June, so B&H may just be looking to clear stock on the off chance, all the same a cracking deal for those who are eligible. I also believe that have discounts on the MacBook Pro`s

Q-6

Last edited:

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
Now that the MacBook has hit the Apple refurbished store, prices will drop on the used market.

iosuser

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple lowers the MSRP with the Skylake refresh. Definitely wait if you don't have an immediate need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.