used blackbook - good deal?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Queen of Spades, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Hey guys,
    I'm about to buy a used Blackbook on craigslist. It's a 2Ghz, 1GB RAM, 120GB HDD version. He said there's nothing wrong with it except the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore. I can replace that for about $50.

Our final price is $750. Is that decent for this model blackbook? I will most likely be replacing it with one of the new macbook pros when they debut, so resale value might be of importance (I may also up the RAM to 2GB for myself and for the resale).

I've never ventured into the used macbook market, so I'm unsure about values. Also, is there a way to tell if a macbook is stolen? That does cross my mind when dealing with craigslist. Thanks in advance for the help.

2. eman macrumors 6502a

Is it a Core Duo or Core 2 Duo? Restore disks, remote, charger or original box included? Scratches on the LCD? Ask for the macbook serial number, then go here. to check warranty. Provide more info and we can help you.

3. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

It's a Core 2 Duo. That's the only other answer I have, we're emailing back and forth. I just wanted a ballpark yes or no. If I get more information, I'll post it up.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

I say it's a little high with a bad battery. If the battery is not charging this can also be from a blown charging circuit on the logic board (previous liquid spill).

5. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

to be honest, I have for sale my 2.1./2G/120 white for 699.00 and its a month old with 3 years of apple care...so dont think its all that :) with all invoices from Apple.

Think you can get a better deal

6. Queen of Spades thread starter macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

All right, he says he has the box, install discs and original accessories. I haven't been able to find any blackbooks for a better price, do you guys have any clues?

I will pass on this deal via your advice. But I would like to grab a blackbook for a good price. Any suggestions would be appreciated. eBay has crap for deals.

7. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Keep checking the refurbs or buy a case and buy mine ...

8. zango macrumors member

why would you buy it if you're going to be replacing it in about a month?