Used car market

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by chstr, Apr 18, 2009.

1. chstr macrumors 6502a

chstr

I know last year was a golden age for buying used cars because of the high price of gas. Now that gas prices have dropped, where can we still buy used cars for dirt cheap? desperate dealerships? ebay? etc.

thanks

2. miamiracing macrumors 6502

hmm where do you live? gas ain't high right now. i think $1.99/Gal is cheap (specially compared to europe)

i'm thinking about getting a new every day car, i can't decide which im gonna get.

ford mustang (v6 or gt don't matter)
    or infinity g35 (coupe or sedan don't matter)

what would you guys buy? mustangs are cheaper..

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

only thinking of those options?

4. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

I know, I said that gas prices are cheaper now so I am asking where we can still get great deals on cars?

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

um everywhere? have you not been following this economy? deals are way better now than they were last year.....

6. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

I would definitely buy an infiniti over a Mustang.

7. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

so whats the best thing to do? just go to a dealership, lowball them, and walk away if they don't bite?

8. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

craigslist, eBay, and local used dealerships would be the greatest place to look

i got a great deal on my last car. Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4000$ too bad i crashed it

9. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

Are you comfortable doing this? If you are good at it and fully understand the game that they play, you should be able to get a good deal.

Typically they would rather make a small profit and fill the slot on the lot with a new vehicle than have the same vehicle sitting there holding out for a better profit.

Edit: I should add, if you don't NEED the car, you are in a much better position, because walking away is only their problem, not yours.

10. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

yeah Im pretty stubborn. and I won't need the car until August so I'm in a good position

11. decksnap macrumors 68040

decksnap

What they like to do is just push the money around. So you really need to know what you want to pay, what you want your payment to be (and for how long), what you want for your trade-in. You should research the financing rates ahead of time as well.

If you have a trade-in, try to find out what they'll give you for it before you even discuss the price of the one you're buying. They'll try to just cut the cost of your haggling off of what they give you for your trade-in.

12. Frisco macrumors 68020

Infiniti hands down.

13. Surely Guest

Surely

I recommend the G35, however I can't compare it to the Mustang since I've never owned one.

I had an Infiniti G35 Sedan (silver, tinted windows, with the Aero package) for a few years. I loved it. I had no problems with it and completely enjoyed driving it. I only sold it because I moved to Los Angeles from Toronto and needed an SUV for the move. Otherwise, I would still be driving it. I'm leaning towards an Infiniti again for my next car.

For used cars, I agree with the craigslist recommendation. You'll probably get a better deal buying directly from someone than at a dealership.

14. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

no trade-in. Im just gonna pay straight up cash. between 7000-9000. a newer audi or BMW.

15. Frisco macrumors 68020

Well both of those are high maintenance cars, but I would choose without a doubt a BMW just because of Audis very poor reliability.

16. miamiracing macrumors 6502

hmm the only audi's and bmw's you find for that kind of money is a high milage vehicle which needs lots of work.

believe me don't buy a car to "impress" other people, if you can't really afford it don't buy it. beamers are ****ing expensive in maintaince.. i gave my 335i away after 7 month.. glad i had warranty but gosh i always had something on it.. fuel pump and all kinds of ****..

go with an american car, buy a chevy or ford. there are cheap to fix... i used to drive a cadillac deville and i tell you, same **** like bmw it always had something on it..

17. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

if a dealer is asking for 12000 how much could I talk them down?

18. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Define "newer" because you're not going to get a decent Audi or BMW for 9 grand.

If I had 9 grand to spend on a car, I would buy a brand new Hyundai Accent (which I think is around 9 grand) before I bought a 10 year old BMW or Audi with god knows how many thousands of miles on it. Just my opinion....

19. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Wise words. :)

Same here.

Once a car hits 10 years, things can really begin to go wrong. It all depends on the car, the prior owner, maintenance, etc. Too many variables.

20. chstr thread starter macrumors 6502a

chstr

21. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Local car forums........
    Find a car you like, then find a forum for that car.

I find that people will usually sell their car for a more reasonable price to people who have (or appear to have) knowledge of that type of car.

eg.
    A car in auto trader for 3000
    The guy puts the same car for sale on to the forum for 2500 - what the car is probably actually worth.

22. miamiracing macrumors 6502

23. steve2112 macrumors 68040

steve2112

Kelley Blue Book and the NADA are your friends for this type of thing. You can look up the vehicle, adjust for condition and options, and get wholesale, retail, and private party sale prices. You can then use these to help when talking to dealers. Also, try to deal with the internet sales manager if they have one.

KBB: http://www.kbb.com/

NADA: http://www.nadaguides.com/

24. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

You ain't going to buy any "newer" BMW or Audi for that money.
    If you paying cash (i.e. write out a check for the total amount) I would recommend negotiating the total price of your purchase (the amount your writing the check out to), rather then the cars price by itself. An $11700 VW Rabbit cost me $12500 including taxes, fees, registration and other what-nots the dealers like to throw into the price (including a $5 lunch I bought for the manager :)).

25. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Well, you can... but there's more than likely something wrong with it. If you're buying used, make sure you get a vehicle history report (Carfax, etc.). You definitely want to know if it was a salvage or something. Those reports are also helpful in other ways... like showing how many owners it had, was it a rental before... can even tell how long it's been sitting on the dealer's lot. When I last bought a car (used Cherokee Sport), I check the report and saw that it had been sitting on the dealer's lot for about 6 months. Brought the report with me and was able to negotiate down based on that.