Used/cheap 2015 12" MacBook for trip to Japan?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Dick Whitman macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Hey guys, I'm visiting Japan in May but don't think I want to bring my brand new $1500 MBP with me. I wish I would have kept my old MBA as a back up machine but now I'm thinking about picking up a 12" MacBook. Any idea where I could try to snag one of the earlier models on the low? Craigslist? eBay? Is it possible to find one in good condition for around $500 or is that too low? I could take my iPad mini but I'd prefer the form factor of a laptop.

2. icymountain macrumors regular

Not sure what local prices are around you (since I do not know where you are located), but what about an 11" MBA ? I never saw any 12" rMB anywhere close to the price range you say but the 11" MBA should not be too far, and is a nice reliable little machine.

3. Dick Whitman, Feb 4, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I'm in the US, around the DC area. I've seen prices around around $600, $700 for the original base model MacBook. The 11" MBA would probably work but I'd be willing to pay the extra difference for a retina display.

4. MaulRx Suspended

Ever since they discontinued the 11 it's actually been around equal in price or even higher than the MacBook on the used market.

5. TRDGT4Writer macrumors regular

TRDGT4Writer

I've seen on eBay at one time, an $800 rMB 12" with all the upgrades:
    8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, and 1.2GHz CPU.

6. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Hey guys so I found someone selling a base model MacBook on Craigslist for $700. Do you think it's worth it? Does it really make sense to have a second laptop? Also, is there anything I should look out for? I've never bought anything off Craigslist.

7. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I bought a really great steal of a Windows laptop on there with no issues. However I'm not sure how I'd feel about a MacBook on there because it's a lot more expensive of an investment and fixing it isn't as easy.

Really it's up to you but make sure you test it out really well before handing over money. I'd also check the serial number to ensure it's not stolen as well.

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

It's a solid deal. Offer $600, settle on $650-$675. I recently picked up a 2015 base for $600. It was listed for $700, but talked them down. Meet at a public coffee shop like a Starbucks. Do the following while checking it out before purchase.

1) Power on the machine, power down plug it in and watch it charge, also restart.
    2) Check to make sure it is not signed into iCloud.
    3) Open a blank word document or page of some sort and test every single key on the keyboard.
    4) Make sure the trackpad is working properly.
    5) Make sure the model is what is being advertised (Specs match)
    6) Check the charge cycle count (if it's high, offer less money)
    7) Look the machine over to make sure there are no major dents or anything that looks like it would affect performance.
    8) Closely check the display when powering on(black background) to make sure there is no light bleed or impact marks.

Those are the things I check when purchasing a second hand MacBook. If I am forgetting anything, someone feel free to chime in.

9. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Lol wow so I told the guy I could meet him this weekend and that I would want to see the laptop in person before making a definitive decision, and here was his response:

Are you serious about purchasing the laptop? It's in perfect condition. I have a few other offers I can get back to if you aren't interested.

Oh well. Guess the search continues.

10. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Must be nice. Where I am, people are trying to get about $200-$300 above what a refurbished unit from Apple would cost. Ridiculous.

The optimist in me likes to think that the average buyer would be too savvy to fall for those prices, but sometimes I wonder.

11. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

That's a pretty common response from someone who sells fairly often on CL. There are so many scammers and wishy washy people that inquire and never meet up or respond again. Although it does make him sound a bit like a jackass, I get where he's coming from.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 9, 2017 ---
    Right?? When I see that nonsense I want to warn people not to be stupid. Apparently there are people who pay those prices without doing any research.

My cousin sent me a link of a 2012 classic MBP on their local Facebook sale page that was listed at $1,000! Nothing had been done to it, same spinning hard drive and 4gb of ram from the factory. He asked me if it was a good deal. I said hell no, that computer is worth about 450-500 MAX in mint condition. People just don't know.

12. Dick Whitman, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2017

Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

I actually ended up responding to him and said that I was serious, which is why I would want to meet in person and inspect the laptop before spending $700. His response: "Fair enough. Just let me know when you want to meet."

EDIT: Holy hell, I just realized the MacBook this guy is selling is an early 2016 edition versus 2015. That means it should have the newer processor if I'm not mistaken. Do you think it's best to try and talk to him over the phone about meeting up beforehand? So far we've only been emailing back and forth.

13. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Nope, if that's the case, meet him immediately. A 2016 model at $700 is an absolute steal and he will sell it to the first person who has cash in hand. Email him back to set a meeting spot and go get it. You can email him your number and tell him to text you. That's what I'd do. That way you have his number if he doesn't show up.

14. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Yeah, definitely meet him sooner rather than later.

Check the serial number, and other typical things, before handing over cash. At a minimum, I would have them log in the devices section of their iCloud.com account and prove to you that the system has been removed from their AppleID. A lot of people don't realize they have to do this when transferring ownership, and it can cause some headaches down the road (ie: if you need to reinstall macOS, or it needs to be serviced by Apple.)

15. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Ok thanks guys! I'll aim for meeting up with him either tonight or tomorrow morning! One other thing that I'm interested in checking, which may have been mentioned, is the battery life cycle. But since it's still fairly new I doubt this will be an issue. Also, I'm curious if the device has AppleCare. It probably doesn't but again if it's within the one year window I wonder if that's something that I could purchase separately if I wanted to.

16. Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

Apologies in advance for hijacking the thread, but I was curious if any one of you CL bargain hunters would consider biting on the following sale (brand new 15-inch 2016 tbMBP 2.7GHz i7/16GB RAM/ 512GB SSD/Radeon 455 dGPU for $2400). The seller has been trying for about a month, but still no taker. I believe the retail price of a MBP with similar specs is $2800 plus tax.

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/sys/5986775235.html

17. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Seems like a solid deal. Since it's been listed for a month, you know damn well that they are willing to take a little less. If I were you, I would offer 2,000 cash and tell them you can meet them at the time and place of their choosing. If they need the money, they will take less. Most likely, you can get it for $2,150 or so. As far as if 2,400 is good? Yea it seems good but I think you can get them to go down.

18. cheezeit macrumors 6502

Pretty good. I listed mine for that amount and would take less if offered. Generally 10% is easy. Good luck! Too bad you weren't a little closer. OKC isn't THAT far from DFW but not an easy evening drive to meet ;)

19. Tazoawake2016 macrumors member

Tazoawake2016

Actually, I'm not in the market for a new laptop as I just bought a 13-inch rMBP (2015 model) from BB about a month ago. :) Also, I would be extremely hesitant to buy anything over $1000 on CL. At least on eBay and Amazon, you can ask for a refund if something goes wrong. On CL, once the cash changes hand, you're pretty much on your own. :confused:

I scour the ad pages on CL daily and this particular ad caught my eyes from the beginning. On the paper it looks like an amazing deal but I can see why the seller hasn't found a taker even after a month. From what I can tell, he's a regular buyer & seller of Macs on CL and not one of those desperate sellers who needs to sell ASAP to meet immediate financial needs. In one month he has reduced the price by only $100. He says he was able to buy this laptop on Amazon below the retail price due to "price mistake" by the seller.

20. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

So after emailing that guy about meeting up I never heard anything back. Makes me wonder if he's a lurker here and saw this thread and realized he should continue to hold out. Probably not but oh well.

21. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Unfortunately with CL there could be a couple dozen reasons for this. Just got to move on. I sell tons on CL and just learned to constantly move on until they meet me at my location and give me cash.

Hope you can find something.

22. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

In an unexpected turn of events, the seller actually ended up responding! Apparently my emails were being sent to his spam folder so at this point in time it looks like everything is still on.

I also found a 2015 12" MacBook selling for $700. I could probably try and get it for $600 but I guess I'll spend the extra $100 and get the latest model from the first seller.

23. deuxani macrumors 6502

deuxani

Just be very careful. As you know, if something seems too good to be true, it most likely is. And the way he responded and then didn't also doesn't help. But if this is the real deal, you won't find anything better for that price.

24. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Yea go with the newest one if you can. Also the spam thing is why I always prefer to communicate via text.

25. Dick Whitman thread starter macrumors 6502

Dick Whitman

Yeah I'm beginning to think you're right. I messaged him and never heard anything back today. Strange indeed.