Used Disk Utility To Re-Partition - I'm In Trouble.

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Daymare, Feb 27, 2010.

1. Daymare macrumors newbie

My Computer: 2.8 GHz intel Core 2 Duo Mac, running OS X Ver. 10.5.8.

Before I start here I'd like to add I searched for answers here before posting this, but I can't find instructions pertaining to my situation specifically. I also posted this in the iMac Help forum but realized it was in the wrong place, not seeing the Windows specific forum. I'd rather get this problem solved than be bashed for asking about it. In the future I will try to be less frantic about this sort of thing.

I've partitioned my hard drive before, but in order to get more space on my Windows partition I have made a disk image using a program called Winclone. I also backed up important files to my external hard drive, and then used disk utility to erase and make a new partition so I could restore the Winclone disk image I made and have everything back. What I'm concerned about is I've been waiting for this new partition (65 GB) to finish being made and its taking a while. I read that if you stop the process it could damage the OS X side and you could lose all your files. This scared me. I started to run time machine about 10 minutes ago and set the destination to my external drive for backup (Its a huge drive, it can hold 650+ GB so I'm not worried about running out of space.)

What I need to ask is what should I do? Do I stop Disk Utility and risk it? Do I let it run? Do I kiss my computer goodbye and pray that Time Machine backed everything up right onto my external hard drive? As of now I feel like I'm sitting on top of a time bomb. I don't know if Time Machine is working correctly because I started it AFTER I began to partition my hard drive. What to do, what to do... Scared as hell. Should I let Time Machine back everything up, the disconnect my external and end Disk Utility?

2. Daymare thread starter macrumors newbie

Can I get any help on this? Its still running and I'm afraid to shut down.. Time Machine backed up all of my Mac onto an external hard drive. Should I end Disk Utility?

3. dogster macrumors member

leave it alone

Hopefully everything will go well and then you can resume using your computer. But if I were you I would just let disk utility do its thing , Stopping it would create an error on the drive

Doug

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

There is a guide to increasing the size of the Bootcamp Partition
    This guide will give a few different methods that have varying degrees of success

What I usually recommend is...
    1. Use Winclone to clone the Bootcamp partition
    2. Run Bootcamp Assistant to delete the partition
    3. Run Bootcamp Assistant to create a new partition at the desired size
    4. Restore the clone to the new partition

Using Disk Utility to delete/create the partition can create the issues and problems as you have experienced

Partitioning a drive does not take any time at all, so if Disk Utility is taking a long time for this, it is likely not going to complete the process at all and there is a problem

Normally, I would recommend using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your OSX partition and start over with your internal drive, but here is what I would do if I were you

1. Stop Disk Utility and see where you are
    2. If you have access to the OSX partition and all is well, I would...

a. Clone the OSX partition
    b. Boot from the OSX clone
    c. Erase the internal drive
    d. Restore the OSX clone
    e. Boot from the restored clone
    f. Run Bootcamp Assistant to make a new partition
    g. Restore your Winclone

3. If you do not have access to the OSX partition...

a. Boot from your Leopard/SL install disc
    b. Erase your internal drive
    c. Restore from your Time Machine backup
    d. Boot from your restored system
    e. Run Bootcamp Assistant to make a new partition
    f. Restore your Winclone

None of the options are particularly fun, but you should be able to get your system back up and running with a little work

Hope it works out for you
    Be sure to post back and let us know what happens

5. Daymare thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, so last night I decided to end the process after I backed up onto my external using Time Machine. Fortunately, nothing happened. I have my XP partition clone and a one-partition hard drive, as well as my backed up OS X stuff.

Now I'm facing a classic problem; Bootcamp Assistant will not let me partition the hard drive and it requires repairs via Disk Utility. Tried that, still no luck. What I hear is the fix for that solution is to run/reinstall Disk Util from the install disk and that usually fixes it, yeah?

Either way, in terms of backing up, I think I'm safe.

6. Daymare thread starter macrumors newbie

Earlier today I booted up the install disk and ran Disk Utility, then restored the Windows partition and it worked fine. Now I have more space and both sides work.

7. suri84 macrumors newbie

i am in trouble with window site

i have install window on Mac 2 years ago and now i want to remove window. i use bootcamp to remove window but it said bootcamp has expired.
    i reinstall in the Mac side and i cant find bootcamp assistant anymore.
    what can i do to remove window :(
    i am using macbook 13' inch

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Bootcamp Assistant should be in Applications->Utilities

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not if suri84 is running 10.4! Which it sounds like if Boot Camp "expired".

Boot Camp is currently supported for OS X 10.5 Leopard and 10.6 Snow Leopard. Is that what you installed?

B

10. suri84 macrumors newbie

yea. i am running 10.4. and i just reinstall 10.4 not 10.5 or 10.6

11. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Boot Camp was never officially released for 10.4, thus it has expired. Disk Utility on 10.4 is also a bit less capable than it is in 10.5 and 10.6 so I'm not sure if you can do the partitioning yourself with it.

Can you upgrade your OS to 10.5 or 10.6? 10.6 is well worth it even for the Bot Camp drivers, even though you are supposed to get the box set from 10.4, the $29 version works fine.

B

12. DualShock macrumors 6502