Used Drobo w/Win [NTFS] now have a Mac... how to switch over data

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Tingababoo, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Tingababoo macrumors newbie

Hi,

I formatted my Drobo with NTFS and used to use Bootcamp. Now I got rid of Windows and only use my Mac running OSX 10.6. How do I transfer all my data from my Drobo and reformat to HFS? If I reformat to HFS I will lose all my data on the existing drives... I basically want to be able to access and write to the Drobo as I did with Windows before, with the data intact.

Thank You

2. skorpien macrumors 68020

Do you have space to copy over the data temporarily?

Another solution would be to get a program that allows your Mac to write to NTFS drives.

Lastly (not sure if you can actually do this, but it would be pretty sweet if you could), maybe create an HFS+ partition on your Drobo, copy the data over, then get rid of the NTFS partition and expand the HFS+ partition? Still new-ish to the world of Mac myself so I'm just trying to throw out some ideas...

3. McNashty macrumors newbie

4. Angelo95210 macrumors 6502a

Angelo95210

I would not recommend writing NTFS with a mac. Even if there is software available it does not sound reliable, and in the best case this will slow down your computer.

I would reformat the Drobo. And anyway as you are a wise guy, I imagine you have everything backed up somewhere else ? ;) If not let me remember you that RAID is not a backup solution...