Used "Erase All Content and Settings" on a jailbroken iPhone 4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by eldy, Sep 3, 2010.

1. eldy macrumors 6502

I used Erase All Content and Settings on a jailbreakme.com jailbroken but not unlocked iPhone 4 running on iOS 4.0 without doing any research.

The phone was only recently activated so it only has SHSH saved for 4.0.2.

The phone now gets stuck on the jailbroken apple logo (with the line of non-black pixels up top).

I can get the phone into DFU mode but iTunes will only let me restore to 4.0.2 but I would like to preserve the jailbreak.

Are there any utilities out there that can save the phone on 4.0?

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

My Guess is that you are SOL, but you can try get it into DFU and them use TinyUmbrella to "kick Device out of recovery". Check if that works

3. celticpride678

No, if you don't have SHSH blobs backed up for iOS 4.0.1, you're out of luck.

For future reference, clicking that button will always made the device be stuck during startup at the Apple logo until your restore in iTunes

4. eldy thread starter macrumors 6502

TinyUmbrella doesn't recognize that there is a phone connected in DFU mode.

5. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Them my first guess is right (as well as previous post), you only option is to restore to 4.0.2 and lose your jailbreak/Unlock. and sit tight for the 4.1 Jailbreak

6. ihaveabu macrumors newbie

if you had your phone jailbroken on 4.01 or 4.0, cydia should've saved your shsh.

You can add this: 74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

to your hosts file (C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc)

and download a copy of 4.01 firmware (google that)

and shift click when you select upgrade firmware in itunes and it'll let you pick the firmware file.

here's instructions for ios3. it's the same steps for ios4:
    http://www.ihackintosh.com/2010/02/downgrade-iphone-3gs-os-3-1-3-to-3-1-2-with-cydia-shsh/

EDIT: if you recently activated it, and it was running 4.02. then you don't have a proper jailbreak. so now, you're stuck back at 4.02...

7. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Clearly, since the OP states he only has 4.0.2 SHSH's saved, there is only one option. Restore 4.0.2 and sit tight as previously stated by others... Don't get your hopes up OP. You really are SOL...

8. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

"Erase all content...," deletes everything, including OS. Without 4.0.1 or below SHSH blobs save, only option is to restore to official 4.0.2 or 4.1 firmware. Another reason why people shouldn't go messing around until they understand what's going to happen with their JB/unlock.

9. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

Not if Apple had already stop signing anything other then 4.0.2. It doesn't matter what firmware your running only what Apple is signing at the time. It's recently activated and running 4.0 per his OP.

OP your stuck installing 4.0.2 and you're without a jailbreak for a little while.

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Actually bigBoss have been sharing some hope lately, it seen that you may want to still try it. 3GS user are reporting more sucess but in Paper is possible the iP4 can do it as well..

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/2010/08/downgrade-402-401-of-myths-and-shshs.html

11. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

12. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

While I always recommend first checking to make sure without a doubt that hashes aren't stored, there's a lot more going on there then just getting lucky. Somehow at sometime these device ECID's have been submitted to cydia for SHSH storing and there's more then just some random coincidences. I've yet to see from any reputable source on a brand new device previously having it's ECID submitted before the device has been in use.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Agreed, that is the whole point of why the restores were successful. Anytime you see a restore method which involves modifying the host file, it involves saved hashes. Period.

I did see a claim the Apple is re-selling retuned iPhone 4's as new due to demand. However, a claim doesn't make it true.

14. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    People never learn.
    Mess up first and ask questions later:rolleyes:

15. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

been there done that, luckily it back in the 3.1 days

16. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

sorry no dice, you risked pressing an unknown button and lost it. Just update it to vanilla 4.0.2 and wait for a new jb!

17. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

I'm new to all of this since this is my first iphone. When I open cydia it tells me that there are SHSHs on file for 4.0.1 and 4.0.2. Should I attempt to download these locally (well, the 4.0.1 one) to my computer, or will saurik's server take good care of these files in case I need to restore sometime down the line?

18. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

They are safe on cydia's servers..

19. f4780y macrumors 6502

f4780y

Trust Cydia. Everything is in good hands. :D

20. nobias macrumors regular

The truly conservative can use tiny umbrella to save blobs locally.
    The op should try it too.

21. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

the day saurik's servers are gone is the day there is no more cydia and that only would mean one thing: Rock as the primary package manager!!! NOOOOOOOO! :D

22. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

There is a situation where using Saurik's servers is a chore.
    When new firmware or a new jailbreak gets released, Saurik's servers get slammed.
    If one needs to restore during that time, it can be a real slow go.
    But that is likely the only real need to have hashes stored locally.

23. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yeah but usually w/ a new jb release most people want to upgrade to the new iOS not downgrade unless they fudged it somehow and at the end no matter what you would still need to open cydia to finish things off (ex. unlocking, etc)

24. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Always when a new firmware is released, there are a truckload that update, then decide they want to downgrade, so the server is working overtime.

Always happens. Plus, all the newly jailbroken ones are itchin' to get their hashes saved at the same time.

25. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

jajaja yes, Im not disagreeing w/ you on anything you have posted, Those few days are always overload central, but I guess we shouldn't complain since he does the hashes saving for free...