Used, good deal or wait?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mewellsar, Oct 11, 2013.

  1. mewellsar macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    #1
    I have the chance to buy the 13" 2.9GHz 750GB, 8GB for $1000 from early April of this year.

    I have tried to compare this to any end of life deals once the new are released. Or will the baseline specs be as good or better as this second step now? Wonder if education pricing will remain at $999?

    Opinions?
     
  2. KeegM480 macrumors 6502a

    KeegM480

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2013
    Location:
    Orlando, FL
    #2
    Well for the exact same price I just bought myself this:
    2011 15" 2.2GHz i7
    16GB RAM
    500GB HD

    but that one is new and has a better processor so it sounds like a good deal maybe wait a while they will probably be releasing new models before the end of the year hopefully at this next event :)
     
  3. mewellsar thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    #3
    Thanks. The only thing I wish that had was a SSD instead. I don't need 750GB, I would much rather have about 256SSD. I'm just curious if the (alleged) new ones are going to all go to SSD for the bottom models too.
     
  4. robvas macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2009
    Location:
    USA
    #4
    I don't think $1000 is that fantastic of a price for a i7 13"
     
  5. srsub3 macrumors 6502

    srsub3

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2013
    Location:
    Boston
    #5
    mmmmm I think they are about 1250 new..... don't know if is it a good deal....
     
  6. mewellsar thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2013
    #6
    That's what I keep on debating. It would be a flat $1000.

    New currently with the education discount would be $1299+tax=$1409.42

    New if I could finagle the mythical end of life pricing of 30% off, it would be $1176.72 including tax.

    So it's anywhere from $176-$409 less than retail.

    But again, there is my question of how good will the new base model be? Will the new base model top the current step up.
     
  7. Rizzm macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 5, 2012
    #7
    I say wait for the 2014 MBP.

    Buy the base model since the processor bump is somewhat negligible. Upgrade the RAM and HDD/SDD yourself and save lots of money. You can go for SSD and 16GB RAM and still get out cheaper than what Apple charges.

    You'll have the HUGE upgrade in graphics with Iris Pro, and much battery battery life.

    Not to mention that they will be refreshed VERY soon.
     
  8. Xerotech macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2011
    #8
    Wait for the newest model to be released and buy the older model. Prices will drop by a lot and you'll score yourself a deal from some poor sap trying to sell his computer ASAP for the newer one. :D
     

Share This Page