Used Hardware Pricing General

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by walczyk, Jul 21, 2013.

1. walczyk, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

walczyk macrumors newbie

Feel free to post questions and answers to questions.

I've been looking for a used MacBook Pro to replace my ailing late-2008 13" MacBook. I found a 15" 2012 MBP, but it doesn't have the Nvidia video card, and I already purchased 16gb of ram to replace it, but I have talked the owner down to $1350, but I still think that it may be overpriced. He says he rarely ever used it, and it comes with extras like applecare, wireless mouse, hard cover, but I don't want any of those things. Is this price worth it? I am disappointed about the video card, that's the only thing that makes me apprehensive because I don't think I could buy and install one. Unless that is something people do, I'd like to know how to do it. Any and all advice would be appreciated.

tl;dr Fair Price for an entry-level mid-2012 15" MBP?

[​IMG]

2. leman macrumors 604

All 2012 15" models come with Nvidia 650M, so there is either a mistake or he is trying to fool you. Amyway, a base 2012 MBP costs $1,449.00 at the Apple refurb store, so $1350 with Apple care seems a more or less reasonable price, albeit a bit on a high side. If it still has two years warranty left and is really in a good condition, $1300 should be a fair price IMO. Although one can surely do better.

3. esskay macrumors 6502

If you get the serial number (or at least the last four?? digits) you can look up the exact specs.

4. walczyk, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

walczyk thread starter macrumors newbie

I think you may be mistaken, he sent a pic of "about this mac" and I checked online. Now, since it has an integrated video card, how would you price it now?

edit: that pic was too big.
    The SN is C02J96VEDV33, where would one look up the specs?
    edit: Ah, tried to use this on the apple tech specs site but it wasn't very precise.

5. gobigorange macrumors member

Hi,

It does have an integrated GPU, but it also has the nVidia.

The computer switches to the nVidia GPU when whatever program you are using demands it. All of the 15 inch MBPs have a discrete GPU.

Hope this helps:D

Edit: Have the owner run something demanding while showing the "About this Mac". The "Graphics" line will change.

Edit 2: If you are unsure about buying it you can get a refurbished 2012 15" MBP for 1449 from Apple refurbished.
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD103LL/A/refurbished-macbook-pro-23ghz-quad-core-intel-i7

Edit 3: You cannot add a GPU to any of the Apple notebook computers.

6. walczyk thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh wow, I see. That makes me feel a lot better actually. I saw someone selling the same computer for $650, not sure if it's already sold though. What do you think is a decent price for this computer?