Used HDD Space after formatting

Discussion in 'macOS' started by OngL, Feb 19, 2009.

1. OngL macrumors member

I formatted my external HDD 2TB (2x1TB setup) with GUID partition. The capacity listed in Finder's get info is 1862.6GB but before any file copied, there was already a usage of 384.7 MB.

Anyone knows what are this space being taken for?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

This a very common question that comes up on MR- so an explanation was put in the Mac Guides here to avoid repeating the info over and over. What is comes down to is two different number systems- decimal for marketing purposes (makes the size seem larger) vs. binary (which is what the computer sees).

Check out the full explanation at the Mac Rumors Hard Drive Size Discrepancy guide.

3. OngL thread starter macrumors member

Point noted on search, sometimes, I couldn't get the right thread. Anyhow, I have a hunch but not confirmed that the 300+ MB is used by file system structure e.g. FAT in MS-DOS system, but this is HFS+.

It has nothing to do with 1000 vs 1024 bytes / KB..

Again, I'm not asking why I don't get 2048 GB for 2 TB harddisk, what I am asking, out 1.8TB, there is another usage of 300+ MB.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, it does. Your hard drive manufacturer uses 1000, your computer uses 1024. Thus, the discrepancy.

5. OngL thread starter macrumors member

While I appreciate your answer, but you're answering what I did not ask.

2TB HDD theoritically should be 2048 GB, however, I only get 1862.6. I am aware of this and not referring to this. I believe you're referring to this.

What I'm referring is that out of available capacity of 1862.6 GB, there are usage of 300 MB to become 1862.3 GB without any files added at all.

Did I make any sense?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh okay...yeah, that's the overhead from formatting your hard drive. It exists with all file systems, HFS included.

7. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

Just for confirmation: I recently formatted my 500 GB HDD into Extended/Journaled and I too have that kind of usage - it's about 150 MB. I noticed that when I selected the HDD for my TM backup, it showed this usage.

Can someone explain what "overhead from formatting" exactly means? :confused:

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Its space the file system needs to keep track of the files on your hard drive. On a hard drive that big, a few hundred megabytes is no big deal.

9. RED™ macrumors regular

RED™

10. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You do realize you just posted a lengthy reply that had zero applicability to the actual question being posed, right? He wasn't asking about that, he was asking about the space being used on the drive. Not a mismatch of numbers, an actual reading of space being used. The question's been answered despite your attempts, but still, try to read a bit (it was a good explanation, btw, just not relevant).

jW

11. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Mal- you are so right and it was my bad.:eek: Thank you for pointing that out. The size discrepancy issue is so common, I did indeed read this one incorrectly, so will delete the previous response!:( Thanks for pointing that out. What's interesting is that you and I have almost identical posts counts (1700+), so I should have read it as well as you did.:eek:

12. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Heh, we all do it. Post count's don't really matter much, btw. I've seen really high post counts from some of the worst posters and some really good posts from completely newbie's. I've made plenty of mistakes myself.

jW