Used iMac or New Mac Mini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rickymac54321, Jul 23, 2011.

1. rickymac54321 macrumors newbie

Feb 28, 2011
    I am traveling to the Philippines to visit my Grandma and wanted to suprise her with a new computer. She has younger Grand Kids live with her and I am worried that the kids will damage the computer. I can buy a used 2008 iMac or a new Mac Mini and purchase the display, keyboard and mouse there. My problem is with bringing an iMac because Im woried it will get damaged if I check it in, but I want to bring it with me in iLugger case, Is that possible? The Mac Mini is small which I can bring on the plane with me. But Im woried about the kids breaking it. What would be the best solution for her?
  2. brendu macrumors 68020

Apr 23, 2009
    The mini is a brick. As long as they dont need to use dvd's/cd's in it I would say go with the mini. Otherwise get an external SuperDrive or go with the iMac.
  3. jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

Aug 31, 2008
    I'd say Mac Mini. iMacs are nice but Mac Mini rocking Sandy Bridge is a solid machine especially in that sexy slim body. As mentioned, you could grab a cheap external DVD if needed (or Air Superdrive) and you'd likely be better off. Especially since you're going to be taking it with you on a plane.
  4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

Dec 5, 2010
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The mini is so awesome. But if you are getting the cinema display (which is ********* amazing) your gonna be paying a heck of a lot more than you would for an imac.

Cinema display's are above $1000. I don't know the exact price off the top Of my head.
  5. obsidian1200 macrumors 6502

Jun 19, 2010
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'd say go for the new Mac Mini. It's rocking some serious **** in that tiny body.
  6. willieva macrumors 6502

Mar 12, 2010
    What kind of power and outlets do they have there?