Used iPad 3 Lte, Cellular Still Works

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jlar4, Jul 1, 2012.

1. jlar4 macrumors newbie

I just got a used iPad with LTE. It was reset completely and I started as a new iPad. I was playing around with it and went in and turned the wifi off and noticed the lte is still in service. The previous owner must not have turned the service off. Will this run out at the end of the month? What should I do?

Thanks in advance

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Notify the seller as it is the seller's responsibility to cancel their data.

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

He probably had pre-paid monthly service that will end after the 30 days he paid for is up. Even if he canceled it, the 30 days (or ?? gigs) will run it's course. If after 30 days it still works then **HE** needs his memory jumped.

4. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Ask the seller if it's unlimited data. If so, KEEP IT ACTIVATED. Have the seller change the username and password to something generic then you can login and change the credit card information. If memory serves, only the last 4 digits are visible of his/her card. If this turns out to be unlimited, you might have just stumbled on a very valuable accident. :)

5. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

yeahh i doubt someone who had an original ipad, and was aware enough to keep their unlimited grandfathered account transferred for that many years would even want to sell there new lte ipad, much less be careless enough to leave it in there.

6. gigaguy macrumors 65816

Consider the fact that the 4G service is always on from the factory to set up the 4G plan, but you can not surf the web with it.
    The seller may have left an active account or it could be just the default. If you can surf over 4G then I am wrong. The default lets you connect via 4G to set up your plan, but not surf.

7. TheKricket macrumors member

This is what I was thinking - when I first got my iPads (I had AT&T and then exchanged for a Verizon unit) - both of them showed the carrier name up top before I ever signed up for service.

If you turn cellular data "on" in the settings - it will show you the carrier name if you are within range of one of the networks (even if you don't have a data plan - it will at least show you that you're within network range).

8. jlar4 thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to the seller. He cancelled right before he gave it to me. The LTE will work until the month is up or the data runs out. Nice free trial though!