iPad mini Used iPad minis - Did we offer too low?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KUguardgrl13, Jan 17, 2014.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

A guy on my local craigslist is selling four used 64gb iPad minis (first gen) for $350 a piece. He said if you bought more than one he would make a deal. My bf offered $500 for two, and the guy said no. Apparently he could get $360-375 on eBay, so $250 is too low.

...But if you offer to make a deal if the buyer buys more than one, shouldn't you expect to not get your asking price? Maybe we should've offered $600, but that's a little much for us as college students. And in a few months the retina display models will be in the refurb store. A 32gb (which would be perfect for me) shouldn't be too much more than what this guy is offering for a used last gen model. Obviously the seller has the right to turn down offers, but am I wrong to think that you shouldn't offer to make deals if you don't want to come down in price very much?

2. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I guess it's up to the seller to decide that. Maybe he or she was only looking to make a deal for all four. The speculation could go on forever. :)

3. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

you totally low-balled him.... I'm sure when he said he would make a deal he didnt mean knock $100 off the price jeez. Did you really expect to get $100 off just because you bought 2? thats ridiculous.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

He was asking for $350, and you offered him $250. To me, that sounds like too much. I think he was thinking of coming down to around $300 if you buy two. Now, you can debate if the original $350 asking price was too much or not, but when you offer to come down in price a bit if you buy two, a 10-15% reduction is what I would reasonably expect. The reduction you asked for is what, more than 25%?

5. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

The advantage to a group sale is time. If you buy more, that's fewer transactions I have to do. For $200 (off), it was worth it to find another buyer.

As a general rule with already lowered prices, expect offers over 20% off to get countered or declined.

6. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

He offered to come down to $675. Guess he's not looking to get rid of them quick :rolleyes:. We might've gone up to $600, if the seller were more flexible.

7. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

You definitely low balled him. His price sounds very reasonable.

8. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

It seemed open to offers. You were in no way in the wrong to give him an offer.

I see no problem here, you offered him fairly as if he ships on ebay he's going to need to pay 10% on each ($35) plus shipping ($20) provided he insures. That puts him down to $295 basically providing he sold at $350.

Your price was fair to say the least. Let him know that he will be paying for fees and shipping and try for $290-300 a piece and see where that gets ya.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Sounds like the seller is done negotiating with them. Emailing him again probably wouldn't help. :)

10. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

He probably didn't see u as flexible with the lowball offer. I've sold a few things on craigslist and people are down right insulting most of the time with offers. I mostly sell on eBay and it can be the same way. I had a guy offer half price of what I had it listed for and I had already sold one. Then sometimes u get the people that just continue to email over and over again as if they are desperate to buy the item, but then they send you offers when it's an auction or buy it now and it's super low like u should be happy anyone is offering u money lol.

Buying 2 will get a deal, but it doesn't equate to buy one get one free pretty much lol

----------

Isn't that the point of Craigslist? To avoid fees on eBay? Why would he sell for $50 less locally with no fees?? He would just sell at $300 or even more lol

11. trewyn15 macrumors 6502

Generally yes, but everytime I sell on Craigslist I lower my price to what it would be without fees. That's how you get things to move quickly lol