Used ipad, new owner

Discussion in 'iPad' started by medren, Oct 18, 2011.

1. medren macrumors newbie

Hi. I have been given a used ipad filled with useful apps. I have never used Itunes. If I download Itunes to my PC and then hook up the Ipad, what will happen? Will I lose all the apps? Or will the Ipad accept me and my Itunes as the new owner? Or is there some neat trick I need to do to get the Ipad and my Itunes into proper sync? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

You will loose all the apps. You can get them back if the last user gives you their iTunes acct. info.

3. MykullMyerz macrumors 6502

MykullMyerz

Yea, as far as I know, your iPad will do a complete restore and it will be as if it just came out the box. So, I suggest prior to your frist sync you jot down all of the apps you find useful and re-download them once your iPad is set-up.

4. daftpunkstu macrumors member

it will delete them all sadly unless you authorize his account on your mac which i doubt he'll do. As said, just write them down and download them later

5. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

If you leave it as is, you will never be able to update those apps, because to do so even from the iPad requires the iTunes password for the account they were authorized with. There is also no way to update or restore the firmware without losing them, so you might as well start over now.

As others said, make a list of what's on there that looks interesting, erase and start fresh.