Used iphone 4, new sim card

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by americaroma, Jan 10, 2011.

1. americaroma macrumors regular

I own an iphone 4 that used to have a sim card under my name with att, then i canceled and used the iphone for a while with gophone prepaid service...

I just gave my iphone 4 to my wife, she got a sim card from att with it under her name (new number, new contract)...

I placed her new micro sim on my iphone 4 and everything works except data (internet)...

My question is: How can she activate data? (she does have the 2giga data plan included) this is a new sim, new number...

Does she have to update or restore phone and set it up as a new device? Or is there another way that wont erase the contacts, pictures and song playlist?

2. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Just so we eliminate the obvious:

have you checked settings --> general --> network --> mobile data [on]?

other than that, I'm not entirely sure, you might need to call up the lovely folk at AT&T.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It should work if its an AT&T sim and has a data plan.
    Make sure Cellular Data in enabled in settings/general/network.
    Unless you changed the APN settings before or install a different profile maybe for prepaid gophone sims.

4. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Data is ON, 3g is ON...

The guy at the att store told me that a new itunes profile should be created and that i would ask me to set as new device and apparently that would Activate the Data plan my wife added...

But we dont want to restore/update if its not entirely necesary.

i never messed up with the VPN stuff when i had it on the gophone sim...

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Did you have data on your gophone sim?
    I'd call AT&T and have them check to make sure data is activate on her sim and account.
    It shouldnt need a restore and setup as new just to recognize an AT&T sim and use data.

6. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks man, yea i think im gonna call att asap, what im thinking is that maybe the data starts working once it recognizes the imei number of the iphone that is being used... or maybe it will just take a while to update itself...

7. americaroma thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

First i got Internet to work by downloading and installing a fake APN profile...Problem was that Visual Voicemail wasnt working..

Then this morning i called ATT and apparently they didnt had any Data Plan added yet to the plan. So they added the 25 dollar one, created an APN profile and everything works now...

Thanks for all the help guys.