Used Iphone 5 purchase

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by dan98, Oct 30, 2013.

1. dan98 macrumors newbie

Hi guys,
    I'm a newbie.
    I have purchased an Iphone 5 and I'm pretty excited about that. But its running 6.0.2 and I need to jailbreak it to use Dual-Sim for working abroad for some time.
    Just that I really DON'T want to screw it up !! It was pretty hard (and expensive) finding a non-upgraded phone...and i hear all kinds of stories.
    I have looked through various guides but they seem to be conflicting and not neccessarily up to date.
    I would be sooo grateful if someone could outline how/IF I can do the following :

1 - Backup the whole iOS so i can always revert to the existing 6.0.2 if needs be. (some people mention SHSH blobs or is that not relevant in this case?)

2 - Safely Jailbreak (Evasion , 6.1.2 I guess ?? Or 6.0.2 ?)

3 - At some point in the future, when im done working abroad, update to iOS7

4 - Oh yes and there's some warranty remaining, but I guess this goes out of the window?

Cheers

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

1. Yes, backup, always good so you don't lose your data. However, for the iPhone 4s and above (so iPhone 5, and 5s as well), if anything was to happen causing you to restore, you would have no choice but to update to the latest version of iOS (as of now, 7.0.3). SHSH blobs are only valid for the iPhone 4 and below.

2. Yep, jailbreak using Evasion.

3. Sure, if you ever want to update just plug it into your computer, and hit "update" in iTunes.

4. Sort of..however, if you need to bring it in for service, you could remove all tweaks, and the only leftover would be the Cydia icon, which you could bury in a folder, so they wouldn't even have to know you were jailbroken. If worst came to worst, you could just restore in iTunes and bring the phone in for repair as this completely removes the jailbreak. However, you would then not be able to re-jailbreak (until a jailbreak is released for iOS 7).

3. dan98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow , thanks for the Super-Quick reply!

And great advice there, all makes sense...
    Can I just clarify point one?

So I really only get one chance to install a fresh iOS6 on there? If the phone got messed up or bogged down later on and I wanted to 'reinstall' it then I'd have to go to ios7 ?

Cheers again- I appreciate these questions might sound a little clunky- I'm actually totally clued up on Android but this is all new right now.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You don't get any chance to fresh install iOS 6. It's on there now, and now is when you jailbreak. What you would do when you first get it is reset all content and settings (make sure it's not already jailbroken first). Then you'd jailbreak it. After that, yep, any need to restore would force an upgrade to the latest version of iOS.

Now, do some searching on here, especially in the jailbreaks and hacks forum. From what I've heard there's a tool called iLex Rat (I believe) that's supposed to allow you to "restore" without really restoring, ideal for jailbroken individuals.

I won't speak much on that as I don't know much, but I've seen several threads about it before in the jailbreaks and hacks subforum so definitely look around there a bit and use the search function on the forum. From what I know, it sounds like the ideal thing for your situation.

What I can say is that restoring the traditional way (through iTunes) will automatically bring you to the most recent firmware, so that'll need to be avoided as long as you need to be jailbroken.

Also, one last bit - while jailbroken, NEVER hit "Restore All Content and Settings" - number 1 no-no for jailbroken devices and will make life complicated.

Hope this all helps!

5. dan98 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey man
    This is priceless advice, and really helps out.
    In fact I'm gonna print it and stick it on my wall, just to remind myself not to hit that Restore button when im in Germany... made me think there must surely be something like an 'image backup' app you can get for Cydia, the same way as you can for Windows.
    Anyway, next time you're in London I owe you a pint !
    Cheers - have a great day :D