Used iPhone Activation

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by RainForRent, Sep 20, 2008.

1. RainForRent macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I know– this may have been asked before. I scoured Google and searched the forums here, but I didn't find any answers that were quite what I was looking for. So, you all mind helping me out?

So, I'm finally getting around to getting an iPhone. I'm buying a 2G 8GB that is pristine. I've had a contract with ATT/Cingular for a loooong time, and rather enjoy being contract free for the last year or two. But does anyone know if switching to the iPhone rate plan will renew my contract? ATT says that you ought to on their website, but I don't think it bears repeating that they are just out to make a buck.

So, anyone knowledgeable on this? Or better yet, has done this?

2. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Yes, your contract will be renewed. Plain and simple, yes, you are signing a new contract with a new rate plan when you get an iPhone

3. RainForRent thread starter macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Thank you. It's not the worst thing to be locked back into a contract, but I just wanted to know. Much appreciated.

4. RainForRent thread starter macrumors 6502

RainForRent

Well, maybe someone else will be interested in this same question I had. Upon speaking with ATT customer service today, I was informed that if you already have a plan with ATT, you CAN pick up a used iPhone and switch your plan to the iPhone plan without extending your contract. So there we go, official ATT word on the topic. Enjoy, folks.

5. sp44 macrumors member

Do you need to get a new sim card or can you use your current one?

6. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

if your sim card is an at&t sim card you dont need it changed, if it isn't then you need a new one

7. RainForRent thread starter macrumors 6502

RainForRent

You can use your current SIM if you have one, or get a new one from the store. Really, what forces you to renew your contract is getting a new phone. Thats how they make sure they'll recoup the cost from giving you a phone for cheaper than they paid for it.

8. sp44 macrumors member

Thanks, that's what I thought. One more question though. If I activate this used iphone and then want to get a 3g a little later does it matter when my upgrade eligibility is? Or because I have an iphone I'm already eligible?

9. RainForRent thread starter macrumors 6502

RainForRent

I think the "qualified because you are an iphone user" status only applies to people who bought them way back when. Being qualified for the 3G is just like being qualified for an upgrade on any phone with ATT. Generally, you have to have at least a year of service with them. So I guess if you already have a contract with ATT for 2-3 years, it runs out and you are doing month to month, get a used 2G and use that for a few months, then get a 3G, you will be eligible but will sign up for another 2 year contract. (Whew!)