Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Royal2000H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
---Intro---
My friend gave me his 1st gen iphone and got a new iphone 3g since the metal around the sleep button got mushed in and made it reset 24/7.

I took the iphone apart... yook out the sleep button, bent the metal back, put back the button and put the iphone back together. Good as new except for the 100's of scratches from my friends lack of care for the iphone (from before he gave it to me).

I already have an ipod touch so I really wanted this so I can take advantage of the camera, microphone, and speaker.

---Question---
He has some apps I'd like to keep that I can't get anymore, like:
iPint (since they removed it from the app store)
and JirboBreak (it doesn't look like the demo)

All his songs are paid through itunes, so I know I can't use those (if I want to ever sync)...
and I know the iPhone goes by account login.
Is there anyway I can start syncing to my computer/account without losing those two apps?

Royal2000H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
oh, and to save on battery life, is it better to take out the sim or put the phone in airplane mode?

maximus06

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2007
oh, and to save on battery life, is it better to take out the sim or put the phone in airplane mode?

Airplane mode turns off all your phone's radios (bluetooth, wifi, cell etc.), this will save battery.

You may be able to keep the apps, just try syncing, its the only thing you can do anyways.

Royal2000H

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
I manually turned off bluetooth.
And even though airplane is on, wifi is on too (which is what I want).

If I take it off airplane, the phone will waste battery looking for service.
Anything bad come from taking the sim card out altogether?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.