Used iPhone problem

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Wired2X, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Wired2X macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I figured that coming here could help me resolve my dilemma.
    Ok, it goes like this: I've been wanting to buy a used first generation iPhone (2G), but my only concern is that if i connect it to my iTunes machine, and go to have it synced to my iTunes library, that it'll ask to activate it, and I do have an AT&T SIM card but I don't want to activate any data plan. So, is there any way for me to get around this? I'd really really appreciate the help. Thanks in advance, Craig.

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

Are you trying to use it as an old-school iPod then?

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can hactivate it with redsnow or pwnage tool and then use it with your sim without data.
    Its the only iphone model that AT&T doesnt mandate a data plan.
    Make sure you install a carrier data block on it.
    unlockit.co.nz
    Go to that site above using your iphones safari browser and go to disable data (FakeAPN) and install the config file.

4. Wired2X thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, thanks. Do I have to use Redsn0w or could I use Green Pois0n or something like that?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you cant just use anything.
    There's programs that wont work with your specific iphone model and firmware installed.
    Greenpoison will not.
    You will need a certain version of Redsnow or pwnage tool. Pwnage its just for mac computers, redsnow has both mac and windows versions.
    Do you know what firmware its on?
    3.1.3?

6. Wired2X thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I meant that I haven't bought it yet. I can ask the seller and get back here quickly.

7. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

I thought all iphones HAD to have data. I have never heard of the 2g being excluded

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    Either way you can just update it when you get it to the latest 3.1.3 and then take it from there.

Yes, for the 2G they even remove it for you if you call them and they will not add it automaticly like they do with all other iphone models.

9. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

First I'd heard of this too.

Is this because of no 3G?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Same reason you never hear anyone with a 2G iphone getting a text from AT&T that an iphone data has been added to their account.
    I guess with the original iphone its classified different in their system and they dont mandate it like their other smartphones. They will even take it off when you call them.