Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EndiSky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I recently purchased a used 1st Gen Iphone that I believe was previously cracked. After about 2 weeks of dealing w/ the not so knowledgeble people from Iphone support w/ AT&t (yes, I will be using AT&T, switching my from my blackjack II) I have still not been able to activate the phone.

The phone is @ the emergency screen and when going throught in (i) icon on the screen I can see that the ICCID does not match the number in the phone. After reading and reading and reading it turns out that the phone went through jailbreak already. Since I am stuck @ this screen, I am unsure how to find out the firmware version and what to do from this point on. itunes shows me nothing with regards to the version and is only showing me the "lets activate" screen.

I have been reading these forums for the past few hours, have searched, scratched my head, and still am not heading in the right direction. I understand that there are a number of unlocker/activators such as pwnage and quickpwn but am unsure where to start w/ them. Any and all help will be appreciated as will ***** talking towards my pure noobness! :eek:

myemaildw

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2008
I recently purchased a used 1st Gen Iphone that I believe was previously cracked. After about 2 weeks of dealing w/ the not so knowledgeble people from Iphone support w/ AT&t (yes, I will be using AT&T, switching my from my blackjack II) I have still not been able to activate the phone.

The phone is @ the emergency screen and when going throught in (i) icon on the screen I can see that the ICCID does not match the number in the phone. After reading and reading and reading it turns out that the phone went through jailbreak already. Since I am stuck @ this screen, I am unsure how to find out the firmware version and what to do from this point on. itunes shows me nothing with regards to the version and is only showing me the "lets activate" screen.

I have been reading these forums for the past few hours, have searched, scratched my head, and still am not heading in the right direction. I understand that there are a number of unlocker/activators such as pwnage and quickpwn but am unsure where to start w/ them. Any and all help will be appreciated as will ***** talking towards my pure noobness! :eek:

That's a common problem, everybody has it. Just run the PwnageTool 2.1 and it will remove the activation screen for you. Just remember to leave "Activate ..." button checked when going through steps in PwnageTool.

EndiSky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Is there a pwnage tool for windows systems? Also I from what I am reading, certain firmwares are required and I am unsure how to check said firmware.

Thanks Part II

quikadanquik

macrumors member
Jul 23, 2008
if you are trying to jailbreak:
use winpwn
download 2.1 (you should be able to find it over google)
if you are using AT&T make sure to do expert mode and UNCHECK the activate box as the phone will activate itself once you connect it to itunes with a valid AT&T sim

it seems like you are missing a valid sim though as itunes isnt activating the phone for youdid you just switch the sim from your blackjack or are you using a different one?

EndiSky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
if you are trying to jailbreak:
use winpwn
download 2.1 (you should be able to find it over google)
if you are using AT&T make sure to do expert mode and UNCHECK the activate box as the phone will activate itself once you connect it to itunes with a valid AT&T sim

it seems like you are missing a valid sim though as itunes isnt activating the phone for youdid you just switch the sim from your blackjack or are you using a different one?

I am using at&t service but from what I was able to gather from the "geniuses" @ apple, the phone has been previously jailbroken which is what is causing the inability to activate using Itunes. Since I am unable to activate the "correct" way, i figured time to go this route.

I am supposing I should go w/o the sim for using winpwn since I am unable to activate in Itunes.

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
I am using at&t service but from what I was able to gather from the "geniuses" @ apple, the phone has been previously jailbroken which is what is causing the inability to activate using Itunes. Since I am unable to activate the "correct" way, i figured time to go this route.

I am supposing I should go w/o the sim for using winpwn since I am unable to activate in Itunes.
Have you tried simply "restoring" the phone? Plug the phone in with iTunes 8.0 and restore it.

If it doesn't work, put it in "DFU" mode and restore it. It should work fine from there.

EndiSky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
Have you tried simply "restoring" the phone? Plug the phone in with iTunes 8.0 and restore it.

If it doesn't work, put it in "DFU" mode and restore it. It should work fine from there.

Yes I have tried iTunes 8.0 w/ restore to no avail. I am unaware of how to put the phone into DFU mode, help would be greatly appreciated.

I am attempting to use winpwn and it is asking me for the firmware version # (2.0/2.01/2.02) which I am unsure of.

I did search for "winpwn 2.1" as mentioned in an earlier post but was only able to find 2.0 and the new beta 2.5 through google/ torrent sites but no 2.1

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Yes I have tried iTunes 8.0 w/ restore to no avail. I am unaware of how to put the phone into DFU mode, help would be greatly appreciated.

I am attempting to use winpwn and it is asking me for the firmware version # (2.0/2.01/2.02) which I am unsure of.

I did search for "winpwn 2.1" as mentioned in an earlier post but was only able to find 2.0 and the new beta 2.5 through google/ torrent sites but no 2.1
I would google for DFU. Sounds like you're a legitimate user, so you can just upgrade through iTunes without having to using custom firmware.

EndiSky

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2008
I would google for DFU. Sounds like you're a legitimate user, so you can just upgrade through iTunes without having to using custom firmware.

Went through w/ the DFU restore, still nothing, still showing the incorrect sim, still unable to activate through iTunes, still sick of dealing w/ the At&t reps.

Jumping back on the winpwn wagon, how do I know which firmware to select?

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Went through w/ the DFU restore, still nothing, still showing the incorrect sim, still unable to activate through iTunes, still sick of dealing w/ the At&t reps.

Jumping back on the winpwn wagon, how do I know which firmware to select?
That made no sense. Do you have the latest 3G sim card? If you must use winpwn, you 2.1 is not available yet. But you can try 2.0.2 and unlock it from there, and then upgrade in iTunes and you should remain unlock. But with your existing comments, I don't know if it'll work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.