Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fileman3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
My sister's BF is giving me his used iphone 3g. I already have a samsung solstice with a 2 year contract (with at&t and no data plan). I want to know if i put my sim card in the iphone 3g will it work and will I still have no data plan ( don't want to pay an extra 30$ a month!)

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
It will work but AT&T might start charging you for data plan since they will know you have your SIM working with an iPhone.
edit: an Iphone without a data plan is pretty pointless

fileman3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
but I have wi-fi in my house and at school. Paying would Be pointless if i got wifi

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
but I have wi-fi in my house and at school. Paying would Be pointless if i got wifi

Most carriers (including AT&T)are requiring data plans with smartphones weather you want it or not. You can take your chances but don't be surprised if your account is provisioned for an Iphone and you begin getting charged for data. I suggest you get an iPod touch.

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
No.
Block data on the account by calling att before you put your simcard in the iphone.
or go to this site thru the iphones safari browser and install the apn changer that blocks all carrier data
http://www.unlock.co.nz

AT&T will still have the devices IMEI weather he blocks data or not.

To the OP: So the answer is yes they will charge you. You can call AT&T to confirm if you don't believe, I have already confirmed this a while back.

fileman3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
i already have data blocked on my solstice. ( if i try to get on the web it says can't connect)

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
AT&T will still have the devices IMEI weather he blocks data or not.

To the OP: So the answer is yes they will charge you. You can call AT&T to confirm if you don't believe, I have already confirmed this a while back.

AT&T will know within minutes what device he's using to acess their network.
That doesnt mean they will automaticly charge you a data plan. Im talking about actual experience here. I dont know what you confirmed or what at&t reps told you. I know plenty of people using iphones on at&t without a data plan.

fileman3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
AT&T will know within minutes what device he's using to acess their network.
That doesnt mean they will automaticly charge you a data plan. Im talking about actual experience here. I dont know what you confirmed or what at&t reps told you. I know plenty of people using iphones on at&t without a data plan.

I know alot of people without data plans also.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.