Used iPhone sold with out the sim?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lokerd, Jan 22, 2011.

1. lokerd macrumors 6502a

lokerd

I bought a used iPhone 4 on Ebay. Generally, I am VERY pleased with the purchase. Reasonable price, quick shipping from the person selling it, great condition of the phone. However, it was missing the sim.

I contact the person about it, and they said that Apple recommended NOT including the Sim because it would include personal information.

I thought this was strange...just curious if this is normal. I feel a LITTLE slighted that the sim was not included because it was not mentioned in the auction listing. I have bought two other iPhones, one with the sim and one with out, but the one with out mentioned that they didn't have a sim.

Should I have expected the sim? Probably no big deal...more just curious I suppose.

Ironically, the phone included the original owners phone number and recent contact list...as if not all of the personal data was delete.

Thanks!

2. draz macrumors 6502a

The sim card is tied to your carrier's account. So sellers should not be including them when selling their phones at all. Unless the sim card was not associated with the account of the seller and therefore does not contain any personal information at all then there is no harm in someone selling it.

So no don't expect to get a sim card... They are pretty cheap anyways to get from your local cell phone shop if you really need one.

3. Dhelsdon macrumors 65816

Dhelsdon

I understand why he didn't give you a sim card with the phone, from what I understand about them is that they are registered to a certain person and that number. So if it did include a sim then I am pretty sure it'd have been useless to you anyway.

Not a big deal though, sim cards are only about 10$ from your provider.

4. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

the sim card is tied to the owners account and cannot be "transfered", so to speak, to another account.

so no, you should not have expected a sim card

5. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

Ok, thanks for the quick feedback everybody!! I have left the seller positive feedback!

6. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

No one sells their phones with the sim card. The sim card contains your phone number and operator. Without a sim card your phone is useless. And the sim card monitors you phone bill. I.e if you swap sim cards with a friend and make a phone call your friend has to pay for the call and vice versa.

7. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

Bring your phone with you to an AT&T store and show it to them and they will give you the SIM card for free. I've done this multiple times. If you don't show them the phone they may charge you $25.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Yeah, when it comes to buying used iPhones (or phones in general), you should not expect to receive a SIM card because it contains personal information relative to the owner. And since they're non-transferable, you'd really have no use for it other than to activate the phone through iTunes to get it off the emergency call screen.

9. lokerd thread starter macrumors 6502a

lokerd

What do I tell them? Bought is used and need a sim?

10. JRoDDz, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

They will give you a free SIM provided you have an account and are activating your number on that iPhone.

11. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Exactly. And if you're activating NEW service, do not let them rope you in to a 2 year contract.

12. hokiepokie07 macrumors 6502a

When I sold my iPhone 3GS, I just took the SIM card out. I didn't tell the buyer about it, I just assumed he would know. He gave me a positive review, and never mentioned it once.

I was told not to include a SIM card when selling on ebay.

The first iPhone I sold on ebay I included the SIM card. I had restored the phone, and didn't realize people could still get anything from it. I guess I was just lucky because I have not had any problems or anything.