Used iPhone stuck in recovery mode?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPad Retina, Apr 3, 2016.

1. iPad Retina macrumors 6502a

iPad Retina

hello, looking at used iPhones and I see a bunch stuck in recovery mode. Is there anything wrong with these phones if the iCloud Account is deleted or Find my iPhone is turned off?

2. G.McGilli macrumors regular

Maybe I'm misunderstanding - but - from what you say - I'm thinking that buying a phone in recovery mode is a BAD idea because there's (in my opinion) a huge chance it is stolen and the IMEI has been blacklisted - and you can't test it out this way.... Which is why they leave it in Recovery Mode.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Most likely it has a hardware issue.
    If you want to throw away your money and take a gamble with an unknown situation go for it.
    If it could be restored and was just a software problem they would restore it themselves and sell it for more money.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Can you get a phone out of recovery mode by putting it in DFU mode? Would getting it into DFU mode be progress at all or would it be pretty much the same thing?

Or does that require something like Tiny Umbrella or some other app?

And if that is possible, would it be likely that the average iPhone user wouldn't know any of this?

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You can get an iphone out of recovery mode by going into dfu mode and restoring it or with just a regular restore with itunes.
    Every iphone user or seller on ebay can restore an iphone. If everything functions correctly any iphone can be restored without needing any 'special' 3rd party software. Those 3rd party programs that you mentioned above have not worked for years and only worked with certain kinds of older hardware like iphone 3gs, iphone 4 etc....
    So when you hear that a device is stuck in recovery mode or at the apple logo or it wont turn on and sold as is then you're buying with hopes and dreams and most likely you will have to pay more money to fix additional hardware components.

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Got it. Thanks for the explanation AJ.