Used iPhone with GPS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bmendez1025, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bmendez1025 macrumors newbie

I purchased an 8GB iPhone with a GPS application already installed and paid extra (way too much extra) for the phone just for the GPS application. Now the phone isn't working so I need to purchase a replacement. Is there any way to transfer the GPS application from the old phone to the new one (or directly to my iTunes or computer)? Or am I out of luck because I did not purchase the original GPS application?

2. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

I think you are pretty much out of luck, unless you have your computer authorized by the person who bought the app originally.

3. CZK macrumors 6502a

You got ripped off.

If its from ebay and you paid with paypal, open a case and return it asap.

4. bmendez1025 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, it was an eBay purchase. Good advice, I forgot about the buyer protection, I just looked into that in the ebay information. Thanks!

5. scelzifan macrumors 6502

Contact paypal asap if its been purchased within the last 45 days and they will pull the money out of the sellers account immediately. I don't really see how you won't win this case unless he said something in his auction that will get it out of the situation, but 99 percent of the time paypal goes with the buyer. So I think you will be ok.

6. CZK macrumors 6502a

Step1: www.paypal.com
    Step2: go into your transaction detail and click where is say '' you have a problem with this transaction'' (or something like this)
    Step3: Open a case choosing item not as described
    Step4: wait a couple of days until the seller accept or refuse to refund.
    Step5: escalade the case to a paypal claim
    Step6: paypal will allow you to return the item, you will have to provide them a tracking number
    Step7: When the tracking shows delivered, paypal take the money that was on hold from the seller and refund your money

7. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I'm I missing something? You bought an iPhone that worked when it arrived. Now the iPhone doesn't work. Why? What's the phone doing? Did you break it? And why on Earth would you be under the impression that the apps that came with the phone were yours to keep?

8. bmendez1025 thread starter macrumors newbie

Of course I broke it? Actually, the seller stated that the phone was ready for use with T-Mobile and all I needed to do was insert my SIM card. I did that it won't read my card ("No SIM Card" detected in upper left of iPhone). I contacted the seller, he told me it might be a bad SIM card tray. I took it to my T-Mobile store, an AT&T store, and an Apple store. One told me that it appeared to be a refurbished phone with superglue because the SIM card tray doesn't open with a key. Pardon my ignorance, but I was under the impression that the apps that came with the phone were mine to keep. I am new to the iPhone/iTunes world and unsure of how all this works. As I stated above, I payed WAY more for the phone than I should have because I wanted the GPS feature offered with the phone. My ignorance with iPhone/iTouch/iTunes has taught me an expensive lesson (unfortunately). Expensive lesson learned!

9. Airmark1 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Well. T-mobile can't help ya I imagine because they dont technically support the iPhone.

The fact that the seller stated that it's ready to use T-mobile might help your refund case.

IMO apps that come with the phone are not usualy going to be guaranteed to continue to work. You'd need the sellers username and password. And they're not about to give you those.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong and don't deserve the refund. But the fact that PayPal sides with the buyer 99% of the time is not cool. I makes selling pretty difficult.

10. tigress666 macrumors 68040

Well, in this case it sounds like he might have an actual valid reason for returning (from what he says he says even the seller admits maybe the sim tray is bad so the seller admits he sold him a broken phone).

I too thought at first he bought a working phone but then broke it but it sounds like with further info that he never could get it to work even though the seller said it was ready to use on T-Mobile.

Anyways, to OP if you manage to either get the seller to refund the money or Paypal to back you up, I'd just buy the iPhone as is from some one (and be picky about getting some one with good feedback) w/out applications and buy the application yourself. That way you can pick your own GPS app (there is Navigon and TomTom and I heard rumors of possibly eventually Garmin) and that app will follow you to whatever iPhone you upgrade to (if you stick with the iPhone, of course if you go with a different phone next time those apps are useless).