Used iPhone with no AT&T contract.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GhostToMost, Jul 17, 2008.

1. GhostToMost macrumors newbie

Hello All,

This is my first post here and thanks for listening.

My bestfriend from out of state just recently upgraded to the iPhone 3g. He was able to snag 16GB white of Friday! He mailed me his old iPhone 1st get in the mail. So I received it yesterday and want to activate today.

The phone has been upgraded to 2.0 firmware and has never been unlocked.

As I am not a AT&T customer what is my best route in getting a service plan onto this phone?

If I go into AT&T for a SIM card would I have to commit to a two year contract? If so is there anyway around this without unlocking?

Thanks in advance.

2. Bridge51 macrumors newbie

Depends on if you go with AT&T

You will have to do several things to get your phone to work on another GSM carrier, like T-mobile. Since your iPhone is updated to 2.0, there are additional steps that need to be taken to downgrade to 1.1.4, until they release the jailbreak for 2.0, and i'd have someone who is somewhat computer savvy help you with it.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=648863&pid=589557150&st=15&#entry589557150

Here is a link with instructions. You will also need to Jailbreak and unlock your iPhone. I'd suggest using iLiberty+, it's very simple.

If you are going to switch to AT&T, then none of this is necessary, just go to an AT&T store and they'll get you a new contract and a SIM card.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yes. No.

4. GhostToMost thread starter macrumors newbie

If I went the downgrade > jailbreak/unlock path how would I obtain a sim card or would I need to?

If I do activate through AT&T would I be able to obtain a 3G model say six months down the road for the 2 year contract price $199/$299?