iPhone X Used iPhone X vs used iPhone Xs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Poki, Jul 14, 2019.

1. Poki macrumors 65816

Poki

Hi guys,

I'm still on my iPhone 6, and I would love to keep it for another year since I think the iPhone Xs is just a little too big for my hands. However, I want to upgrade my Apple Watch Series 0 to the next generation, and since that one won't be compatible with iOS 12 on the iPhone 6, I'm forced to buy a new iPhone in September.

If I upgrade, I want to go with a Face ID phone, because I think the UX is far superior to Touch ID on my iPad Pro – even if that means I'm going to have to deal with a bigger phone. However, I'm not going to pay €1,300+ on a huge phone, so it'll be a used one. Since I purchase all my music through iTunes and don't stream, I need at least 256 GB of storage.

Current used prices for devices in good condition are approx. €700 for an iPhone X or €900 for an iPhone Xs. I'm expecting both to drop another €100 in September, when the next generation is released. So, is the Xs worth the extra €200? Seems like the only big advantage would be one more year of software support, or am I missing anything?

2. danmart macrumors 6502a

danmart

The XS has superior Portrait Mode from the A12 chip with post-processing options. It’s the only feature I’m aware of over the X (as opposed to spec bumps).

3. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Thanks for the info. I always bring a dedicated camera with me for various reasons, I will never use the iPhone camera for anything but document scanning, so the camera quality doesn't matter to me at all.

4. now i see it macrumors 68040

when using the X & XS side by side, they seem identical. The X to XS spec bump was probably the smallest iPhone upgrade in iPhone history. IMO - not worth it.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Get the X. Save the 200 euro (sorry, I don't know the monetary symbol on the US Mac keyboard)

They're both amazing and clearly ahead of anything else on the market from a processor standpoint. You're a frontrunner with the X, so stay there :)

6. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I agree, the camera is the only reason to go with the Xs. You'll get a full warranty with the refurb and it's AppleCare eligible.

7. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

As in, Smart HDR is a distinct advantage with the A12 v.s. the A11.

8. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Thanks for your input! An iPhone X it shall be. :cool:

9. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Thanks again for your advice – I just bought a mint iPhone X 256 GB silver with 92% battery health for €656 shipped. Not super cheap and battery health seems kinda mediocre considering my much older iPhone 6 has 93%, but since it's mint, I'm pretty happy with it.

10. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

The battery is the easiest part to have replaced. That's something.

11. omelet1978, Jul 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2019

omelet1978 macrumors regular

I had an X and upgraded to an XS. It is a minor improvement with FaceID being slightly faster and apps loading slightly faster.

The reason I updated is that I plan on skipping the iPhone 11 for now and the updated XS was like new with 100% battery, AppleCare+ for another 16 months, and it was a relatively low cost upgrade. So necessary, not at all but not a bad update in the least. Also, I have a Nomad Leather case that cost almost $50 and the XS fits that as well so don’t have to update that. I’ve learned the nicer cases age better than the $15 cases on Amazon.

Also the 2020 iPhone is supposed to have a 5.4inch screen vs the current 5.8 and the notch may be reduced significantly. I personally am very excited about that one (assuming it’s true) so another reason I upgraded to the XS and am going to try and skip the iPhone 11 update this year.

12. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Yeah, I'm also very excited for the 5,4" model, maybe with even smaller borders to make the device actually smaller than the iPhone 8. But since I really want to upgrade my Apple Watch Series 0 to whatever Apple introduces in September, I had to upgrade this year (iPhone 6 won't get iOS 13, so it won't be compatible with future Apple Watch models), and at that price, I won't loose more than a few hundred bucks when selling it next year to buy the 5.4" one.

13. Elitegate macrumors member

If you wanna get a new phone right away, definitely get the X. They are now cheaper and there is really not much difference between X and Xs. Most important feature would be the improved camera quality, plus Smart HDR and Advanced Bokeh. But if you say you only scan documents with the camera and you don't need the newest and best camera system - save your money and go with the X. Amazing phone. Great screen, CPU and Camera. Even for 2019.

14. chenhastwins macrumors newbie

iPhone X and XS have no difference to me, unless you really care boout the Portrait mode or A12, JUST CHOOSE A CHEAPER ONE

15. Crowbot macrumors 6502

Crowbot

I went from a 6s to a X in '17 and the differences were amazing. The Xs is mostly camera tweaks and the latest chips. Maybe I'll look again in '20.

16. roguester macrumors newbie

roguester

17. chenhastwins macrumors newbie

hELK NO, I keep both, Love to watch Youtube while chat here

18. internetrando macrumors 6502

internetrando

The X is a good phone. Look at purchasing one from the Apple Refurbished site - they're as good (and probably better in some ways) than new.

The XS is a great phone, but for the money (and for how long you keep the phone) I would just save the money and enjoy the ride with the X.

19. roguester macrumors newbie

roguester

The iPhone fits in my pocket. Note9 fits in certain pants

20. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Don’t worry about battery health all that much. I returned my iPhone XR few months ago and brought a refurbished iPhone 8 Plus (not Apple refurbished). It has 84% battery health. Half years in, it still going strong.

I am pretty much covered in battery side, I have a charger on my workplace, cable in my car and battery bank on my bag all the time.

21. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Yeah, I usually still have 50% left on my iPhone 6 when I come home from work, about 13 hours into the day, so I guess I'll be fine with the X. The battery health just seems to be the only less than perfect part of the device I bought, at least according to the listing. It was delivered today, can't wait to get home and unbox it.

22. LovingTeddy macrumors 68000

LovingTeddy

Did you brought on eBay? I am too afraid of getting scammed by eBay seller. LOL

23. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Yep, bought through ebay. I actually bought a lot of stuff used from ebay, including Leica cameras and lenses, sometimes for €5.000+. The only time I got scammed was when I payed through bank transfer (yeah, I know, pretty stupid), but whenever I used PayPal it went pretty smooth. PayPal even covers cost of sending back to the seller if something's wrong, and you get your money back before sending the item back.

24. apolloa macrumors G4

Yes the XS is well worth the premium, better cameras and faster. Plus stereo sound recording.

25. Poki thread starter macrumors 65816

Poki

Soo ... update from me: The first used X I received did have a swollen battery and a lot of scratches even though it was supposed to be mint, so I sent it back. Bought a refurbished "like new" one from a dealer for a little more money, and that one actually is like new: Not a single scratch, 100% battery health and Apple warranty until July 2020. I'd say that was a good deal.