Used Mac Buying-Powerbook Vs Mini- some help needed!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by knight42, Mar 22, 2008.

1. knight42 macrumors newbie

HI Guys
    Id like to ask what to buy. Am on a very tight budget so am doing the Ebay thing.

Am either looking at something like a G4 1.6 Powerbook or a Intel Core Duo Mac Mini am gonna run Leopard on whatever I buy.

Believe it or not im still running a 1.2 G4 Emac with Tiger, so as you can guess im not too worried about high end stuff. Im only getting something new as the monitor is gone and the fan is making so much noise it sounds like I have a small tank in my room. So am after something thats gonna run quiet.

I mainly do light internet work (flash, dreamweaver) and the occasioanal bit of vector stuff. So its not really that intense. Obviously I do things like web, writing and all the normal stuff.

So after all that fluff, my basic question would be, if you could buy one second hand would you go for an old Powerbook or a Intel Mini? I was leaning towards the Mini, but am worried about it not having much graphics kick, but does the intel processor make up for this?

Any thoughts and ideas would go down well. Thanks!!!

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Unless you need a true portable, you gotta go with the Core Duo Mini. Keep in mind that today's integrated gpus are better than most antiquated mobile gpus.

3. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

Intel Mac Mini will be way faster than the Powerbook - especially with leopard. Go for the mini, and you will have a machine that can continue to run the latest version of OS X for some time...

4. Techguy172 macrumors 68000

Mini Will be faster but I would also like to have portability and I'm sure you would like it too. So I say PowerBook.

5. knight42 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. I think im gonna head for the mini. The powerbook is tempting for the portability side, but knowing how i work it would be tethered to a monitor most of the time, so maybe would be a waste. I think im gonna get a mac mini, or save my pennies and try for a MacBook Pro!