Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjohnnyglass

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 4, 2012
I'm a professional musician, and I'm in a unique situation. I play keyboards and want to move to a Mainstage rig, but I'm apprehensive about bringing out my '17 tbMBP since it's my work computer. I see a number of used Macs for sale locally, and I wonder what is the base requirements for Mainstage 3? It would never be connected to the internet or bluetooth, just my audio interface and USB Keyboard Controller. My patches would never have more than 2 (rarely 3) sounds running simultaneously.

Could I get away with a 2011 MBA with 8GB of RAM? I would literally delete every program other than Mainstage. I found a few locally that would be like $400ish. Am I stupid or am I along the right path of thinking?

nathansz

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2017
i’m in a similar position to you.

i want a machine for mainstage only and don’t want to bring out any of my home computers and don’t really want to drop 2 or 3 grand.

so far i’ve gotten mixed messages researching and on forums so i’ll be watching this with interest

if you make a decision let me know how it works out and i’ll do the same
[doublepost=1524148394][/doublepost]for what it’s worth.

the mainstage concerts that i’ve built so far run fine on my 2011 27” quad core i5 3.1ghz imac

how that translates to older laptops i’m not sure

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.