Used Mac Mini 1.5 Solo Core Buying?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by bub9001, Jul 10, 2008.

1. bub9001 macrumors newbie

bub9001

I have seen a few used Mini 1.5Ghz Solo Core for sale around $300. Are they truly worth the money since they are a Solo Core? I mean the spec's for the Solo's are ok, but i am going to spend $250 just to upgrade a Solo Core to a Duo and I haven't even touched the RAM, HDD, or Optical Drive yet. Is it really worth all the trouble to upgrade or should I just wait to buy the new one when and if it comes out?

I mean a new Mac Mini with the Core 2 Duo 1.83 Ghz and 1GB of ram runs $580 give or take. And i will spend $300 for a used Mini, $250 for New Processor, $60 for ram, and $80 on a 7200 RPM 120GB 2.5" HDD. So that's $640 for all the upgrades and it still runs on Tiger not Leopard.

I guess what I am trying to say is there any Mini owners that feel that the 1.5 Ghz model is worth $300 dollars and all the upgrades are just icing on the cake?

2. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

If you want to go cheap, and buy it but don't upgrade it. If you are going to upgrade it, then go for the a new mini (or refurbished from Apple store). You do have to check the refurb store 5 times a day to catch them. They'll sell out in a couple of hours.

3. keltorsori macrumors regular

Silverblack is right. $479 for the 1.83 refurb is hard to beat. However, if you get an insane deal on a solo-core, the processor upgrade is pretty easy and you can drop any socket-m core 2 in there. Be aware that the newer processors are no longer going to be available in socket-m (intel moving to socket-p).

4. bub9001 thread starter macrumors newbie

bub9001

Core upgrade?

I have done a ton of research on Core upgrades for Mac Mini's and it doesn't seem worth it unless you already have a Mac Mini. But i do agree with just buying and not doing anything, it will work fine for me, and it would be a good upgrade from my 6 year old PC.

My biggest question through all of this is Tiger better than Leopard?

The old mini will be running Tiger and a new one will be running Leopard. So i need to know from those who already have a Mac Mini running on both, which one is a better fit for me.