Used Mac Mini G4 or Powermac G4?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ReanimationLP, May 23, 2007.

1. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Cant decide, and was hoping someone could help steer me in the right direction.

I have a 1 GHz Sonnet G4 CPU coming from an RMA, but the G4 tower it was out of is dead (at least that I know of)

I have a PC laptop that I plan to sell as soon as I can, as I havent used it in forever, but its in great shape, and worth around 250-ish.

Now the question is, is it better to hunt down a Digital Audio G4/Quicksilver G4 and install the 1GHz CPU, and then get a AGP FX5200 and flash it, or is it better to just get a basic 1.25 GHz Mac mini G4 or Core Solo from selling off the PC laptop and the new replacement CPU module?

RAM isnt a big issue for the Powermac, as I have 2 512MB DIMMs, and then some 256MB modules as well, and hard disk drives dont matter either, since most of my files will be streamed over the network from my main PC.

I sorta understand the tradeoffs, slower processor, but upgradeablity and more RAM, or faster bus/processor.

I was just hoping someone else could help me steer towards a decision.

2. theISHkid macrumors regular

If you bought a G4 Powermac why would you replace the processor? Especially if it was working. I have a dual 867 Digital Audio Powermac that I'm thinking about selling but I can't understand why you would want to pull that processor for a single 1 ghz.

3. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

I am assuming the OP would be buying the cheapest Digital Audio (466) or Quicksilver (733) he could get and plunk the processor down there.

In any event, I say sell everything (you might even get some $$ for the PM enclosure) and get the Core Solo Mini. Why? Upgradeability. You seem to like processor upgrades, so when you get some more cash down the road, swap out the solo for a duo. Plus there are many mods for the Intel Minis like adding up to 5 full sized hard drives through the internal SATA connection.

As an aside, and totally off topic, if you get a PPC mini, you could potentially swap in a Compact Flash card for the HD and get a big boost in performance.

4. California macrumors 68040

California

Hey ReLP

I still have that 733mhz DA Powermac. It is just sitting. So if you want to buy it, it has a new fan, superdrive, working zip drive, two 7200rpm hd's works great. Make me an offer. I think when I got it you and I talked about an offer but I could be wrong.

5. ReanimationLP thread starter macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You need to clear out your PM box.