Used Mac Pro? Or Core i3 iMac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by muk546, Nov 13, 2010.

1. muk546 macrumors newbie

i have about $1300 i can get a mac pro (used) on crigslist for $1200 (2009 model)
    or a mac pro used $1000 (2006 model) or an iMac i3
    My needs:
    Video editing/compressing
    Multiple hard drives
    Needs to be whisper quite
    SOME gaming via bootcamp (just bought Left For Dead 1/2 on sale)

My Main question is have you ever bought a used mac pro? Is it a good idea? or am i in over my head?

Current macs:
    Macbook late 2007
    core 2 duo 2 ghz (slow for editing)
    Current pc's:
    Custom built pc core 2 duo 1.86 ghz (slow for editing but faster then the macbook)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The 2009 ac Pro for 1200 USD seems too good to be true, but any Mac Pro will blow the i3 iMac out of its shoes, and a Mac Pro will give you the opportunity to add several HDDs via S-ATA, with the iMac you are limited by FW800 as the fastest port.

3. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Definitely seems too good to be true. And I wouldn't recommend a 2006 MP. You really should look at '08 and up as they are EFI64 capable. Those below that may be blocked out of updates (hardware and/or software) in the near future. I think you can be successful with a used MP, just need to find a decent one. $1300 may be tough though. You could get a good iMac on the refurb site for that price that'll last you several years.

4. muk546 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ive read that the first gen mac pro will have graphic card compatibility issues in the future so i guess i need to get a 2008+ model?
    So if $1300 about how much more do i need id rather mac pro because i like upgrading my hardware an imac would be GREAT but i need function over sexiness ;)

5. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Yeah, you really want to only look at 2008 and above. Check your local craigslist and (maybe) ebay to get an idea for prices. I just checked mine and saw a 2008 8-core with 6GB of ram going for $2000. I can't imagine you'd get one lower than around $1800. Do you already have a monitor? If not, I'd really suggest looking at an iMac.