Used Mac Pro or refurb iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dogen, Aug 21, 2008.

1. dogen macrumors newbie

Decisions, decisions. Would you pick up a used Mac Pro 2.66 quad core, standard configuration, for $1,500 with a year of AppleCare left or a refurb 2.4GHz 24-inch iMac, which would run about $1,400 with tax and shipping? I see 22-inch monitors between $200 specials (Asus at NewEgg currently) and $500. The iMac monitor's probably better, and it has a built in webcam and a remote and the groovy low-profile keyboard, while the Mac Pro's nastier and more expandable. So, opinions, opinions, please.

2. The Hammer macrumors regular

You can upgrade the Mac Pro components as you save the money to do so. Whereas the IMac is a dead end.

3. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

When comparing, the AppleCare is moot because you automaticall get a free year of the same when buying a refurb (assuming the refurb comes from Apple).

Do you need the Mac Pro? That's a lot of power for checking email and surfing the web. And while I agree that the expandability of the MP makes it tempting, only you can decide if there will in fact be a need to expand in the future.

Personally, I'd choose the iMac because it would meet all of my needs, while the MP would be overkill.

4. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

bobbleheadbob

I think it depends on what you're going to be doing with the machine. If you run or plan to run a lot of pro apps, edit video, etc. and need the processing power then I think the Mac Pro with its expandability is the way to go. If you're working more in the iLife and iWork suites, e-mail, and websurfing then the iMac makes more sense.

Whatever you do, Dude, just don't get a Dell. ;)

5. belunos macrumors member

$1500 is a HELL of a deal for a 2.66 quad, especially with any kind of warranty left on it:eek:. I assume it's craigs or something, I haven't seen that kind of deal anywhere on the web. The next closest is $1888 at powermax. With that kind of expandability I would only consider an iMac if it were the highest available. Even if all you're going to do is surf the web I'd still get the quad at that price

6. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

The mac pro is more upgradeable and performance dollar wise more powerful.
    For that money the mac pro is bargain that will certainly last at least 4 years.
    Get the Mac Pro, try it and if you don't like it you can probably sell it for more money.

7. dogen thread starter macrumors newbie

It is a good deal for the Mac Pro, isn't it? (Yes, craigslist.) That's what's tempting. It doesn't come with a keyboard or mouse—no big deal, since I've got extras of both. Since I may experiment with Logic and Final Cut and reencode a movie here and there, the power of the Mac Pro would come in handy there.

The trouble is the monitor. From what I've read, the 24-inch iMac comes with an S-IPS panel that's very good, and since it's actually part of the machine, I imagine color calibration won't be an issue, as it might be for a Mac Pro with a monitor from another manufacturer. I need a 22- to 24-inch monitor that's good for text, movies, and photos. (I'm not a gamer.) Would I need to spend another $500 for the display and the color calibration? Any suggestions there?

8. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

There is a basic color calibration tool in mac OSX, I did it on my macbook and it definitely makes a huge improvement over the stock configurations so you basically don't have to spend money on that. It is completely up to you if you want a S-IPS panel. You really need to consider it on your usage, since you are in video editing I recommend one, there are some very good TN panels out there too but that is completely up to you.

9. QuantumLo0p macrumors 6502a

QuantumLo0p

For me the choice would come down to power vs. aesthetics. I currently do a lot of audio and video processing. My photo processing isn't that big right now. CAD/CAM/CAE can take a LOT of horsepower to run. Sometimes I have to wait 15-30 minutes for some programs to crunch on my WinXeon computer at work. (reminds me of waaaay back when some CAD/CAM projects would run all night. Whew!)

If you plan to do a lot of processor intensive work I'd opt for the macpro. If not then I's go for the imac because it takes up less desk space and, arguably, has a cleaner look in an office and has other things like a web cam.

If Apple could make an imac with lots of cores, that would not start on fire, I would buy it in a heart beat!

Since you do not have a clear cut purpose for this machine I think you may well be satisfied with either choice. Hmmm?
    ;)

10. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

go for the mac pro, it'll last you for years. The imacs are sweet looking but once the display goes like it did with my older imac, you're stuck with a computer and busted screen. Integrated monitor and computer sounds nice but when one goes...the other is useless.