Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xerotech

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2011
Down as always. Until it becomes ancient and is still in mint condition. Then, it'll sell for crazy amounts. ;)

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
I don't expect the bottom to fall out of them, but don't expect them to appreciate either. I think the folks that have 5,1 models with dual processors will probably hold the best value, but they were the most expensive when bought new.

Assuming the third-party products like GPUs, etc., don't dry up, they should stay relevant for some time.

I am certainly glad that I purchased mine when I did as the new model lacks several features that are important to me. The internal expansion is important as well as the PCIe slots and the optical bays. It has been my favorite computer that I have owned, and I have owned many.

One concern is the support for Apple displays - I feel the LED Cinema Display is only being manufactured because of the Mac Pro, and that market is probably so small right now they don't move many of the displays. I expect Apple to cut them as soon as the new model is released. I hope the next displays (I expect an iMac-type thin model) will be backward compatible with mini DisplayPort as well as Thunderbolt to support the newer screens.

I look forward to using my Mac Pro every workday and it is a pleasure to use.

pertusis1

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Texas
investment advice

I would not recommend buying a computer of any sort as an investment :) If you need a Mac Pro, buy one. If you don't, invest in something else.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
The 1.1 to 3.1 models have gone down in prices while the 4.1, 5.1 BTO models prices only had miminal price cuts.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
Down. Always down.

And if anyone says they will go up, I would ask them how many they've bought as an investment to resell.

violst

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2012
Down. Always down.

And if anyone says they will go up, I would ask them how many they've bought as an investment to resell.

Agreed, it will always go down, weather or not you like the new Mac Pro it has the latest and greatest technology and the current mac pros are already outdated and long, long over due for this nMP update.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
I would not recommend buying a computer of any sort as an investment :) If you need a Mac Pro, buy one. If you don't, invest in something else.

"In economics, investment is the accumulation of newly produced physical entities, such as factories, machinery, houses, and goods inventories."

"In economic theory or in macroeconomics, non-residential fixed investment is the amount purchased per unit time of goods which are not consumed but are to be used for future production"

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I hope the next displays (I expect an iMac-type thin model) will be backward compatible with mini DisplayPort as well as Thunderbolt to support the newer screens.

They aren't displays. They are docking stations with a built in LCD panel. The rest of the docking station would be completely disabled with a DisplayPort only connection. This hope here is that Apple will support a mode which disables a significant chunk of the device as part of some "normal" operational mode . That isn't a standard Apple practice.

There is a large and healthy display market out there will several very capable vendors and products.

I feel the LED Cinema Display is only being manufactured because of the Mac Pro,

The fixed cord LED Display was targeted as much at the laptops as at the Mac Pro. They probably are at significant number of replacements being sold in that roll also. This is actually the device that works in both the Thunderbolt and DisplayPort context. Someone would required using both over time would buy this; not a TB docking station/display.

----------

Down. Always down.

There may be local bubbles over the short term. The presumption also is that there aren't major hiccups with these new models. Those also could cause some short term bubbles. There are a substantive number of folks who are going to be on the sidelines waiting to see if these make sense or not. If they get spooked by problems, used may not go down much at all.

The EU markets that have been under pressure do the lack of any new Mac Pros for the last 9 months are only place where there would be a extremely low chance of no hiccups at all. Used/Refurb was on only way. Open up multiple streams and prices will change.

englishman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2006
I was thinking mainly in terms of picking up a bargain.

I'll wait then and hopefully can pick up on Ebay or somewhere in UK a cheap hex core from someone upgrading.

Or depending on price of base model might get a new one.

Last edited:

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I was thinking mainly in terms of picking up a bargain.

I'll wait then and hopefully can pick up on Ebay or somewhere in UK a cheap hex core from someone upgrading.

2009-2012 model hex core downward pricing is as much impacted by new Mac Pro as Intel discontinuing them.

http://www.cpu-world.com/news_2013/...ues_Xeon_3500_and_3600_server_processors.html

Or depending on price of base model might get a new one.

If looking for discounts, refurbs will probably be out in a month or so after launch. The 2012 refurbs should drop to the discount placed on the 2009-2010 ones now.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Refurb Mac Pros are not common in Europe and Asias unlike in the US Another option is buying from US sellers that ship internationally though there might be a problem with high taxes.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Very rarely refurbs in UK :(

It is partially a function of number of Apple stores and local leasing programs. Both of which are likely on the increase in UK. Deals probably won't be constant but they probably will show up.

Right now that is the only way to buy a Mac Pro with "new" warranty from Apple. They should instantly disappear due to demand.

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
Even though I just got the 3,1 if I come across a 5,1 twin hex really cheap I'll snatch their hands off.

I only wish just over a year ago I'd have kept one of the three twin hex 5,1's I got working with a bailiff firm from a company liquidation, each with a 27" Cinema Display. Unfortunately I needed the profit :mad:

They'll be more that I'm sure of but I have no idea when :D

westrock2000

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
The 1.1 to 3.1 models have gone down in prices while the 4.1, 5.1 BTO models prices only had miminal price cuts.

The 1,1 & 2,1 are drastically cheaper because they are no longer supported. They do not officially support Mountain Lion and are questionable at the unofficial level. The price jumps substantially once you get back to Mountain Lion capable Mac Pro's.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
The 1,1 & 2,1 are drastically cheaper because they are no longer supported. They do not officially support Mountain Lion and are questionable at the unofficial level. The price jumps substantially once you get back to Mountain Lion capable Mac Pro's.

Yup. I know the 1.1 and 2.1 lack of current OS support. Another factor is they are in abundance being sold in the market plus very little demand. Additionally, the 2008 Mac Pros, which has ML support, are also in abundance and gone down in prices.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
In the UK the best place to find a bargain Mac Pro is eBay between mid January and the end of March. Folks offload expensive surplus goods and companies liquidate assets most during that time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.