Used Mac Site Called "www.cmd-r.com"

stepbasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Virginia
Has anyone ever heard of this site? Its called www.cmd-r.com and allow people to post for sale used Macs & associated hardware and software. Anyway, it looks like it could be pretty cool it just needs some more people to look at it and post stuff. Anyway, please give it a try and see what you think.

iBook

macrumors regular
May 3, 2004
On a tugboat
Patmian212 said:
Not in my opinion. I appreciate information like this.

As an owner of a used Mac that does nothing but sit in my closet and a used Mac that does nothing but sit in my bookcase, I appreciate knowing where to find a market for these machines.

Furthermore, the category is "Marketplace and Classifieds." :eek:

What did you expect? Everything in here is going to be sales-oriented.

macrumors 68020
Apr 11, 2004
NYC
iBook said:
Not in my opinion. I appreciate information like this.

As an owner of a used Mac that does nothing but sit in my closet and a used Mac that does nothing but sit in my bookcase, I appreciate knowing where to find a market for these machines.

Furthermore, the category is "Marketplace and Classifieds." :eek:

What did you expect? Everything in here is going to be sales-oriented.
It is actually in buying tips and advice ;)

stepbasin

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 16, 2004
Virginia
Westside guy said:
Interesting that it doesn't have a "whois" entry... I'd be inclined to stay away from there. :confused:

What is a "whois" entry? And this is not meant to be spam, just a suggestion for those of you who might be interested in other outlets for selling used stuff.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
stepbasin said:
What is a "whois" entry?
A "whois" entry is the report you can get regarding any website's registration information. From the Unix command line, you type in "whois cmd-r.com" and you should get a report of when the site was registered, who owns it, when it was created, etc.

But I mispoke - it does have a whois entry when queried from Network Solutions website. It wasn't found when I did it from the command line earlier, for some odd reason.

The reason I did a whois lookup is because I wanted to see when the site was created. A lot of times scam sites will have a very recent start date. The cmd-r.com site was set up just last November. Note that this doesn't mean it's a scam site! It just means it's a new site, and so one should tread especially carefully when it comes to personal info, money changing hands, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.