Used Macbook Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by macbookupgrade, Mar 15, 2015.

1. macbookupgrade, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015

macbookupgrade macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am looking for an upgrade from my 2009 white Macbook. I wanted something that has a CD drive, has decent disk space (around 320 GB+), has good RAM (4GB or 8GB), uses a good Intel chip (i5, i7...), and is relatively recent (2011-2012). For those specifications, I figured i'd get a Macbook Pro from either eBay, Craigslist, Newegg, Amazon, or some other listing or party. The problem is, I want to buy from a trusted source. Would you buy a Macbook from a trusted seller on some place like eBay (with a warranty), inspect the laptop at some location with Craigslist, or go with a trust seller, like Newegg, with a good warranty? Here is one example of what I am thinking of purchasing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-2011-...821?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd06f45d

Edit: I need something in the $800 or bellow price range, so that's why I am looking into used.

Also, any constructive suggestions while going through this process are appreciated.

2. macbookupgrade thread starter macrumors newbie

Price Range

I need something in the less than or equal to $800 price range.....

3. Android300zx macrumors regular

Sacrifice a couple of bar outings and you should be alright. As far as the CD drive you can get an external and call it a day. I would look into those since they come with warranty and I believe you can put Apple Care on them. I would ask the Genius Bar for confirmation or call.

4. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

I got a nearly mint mid 2010 macbook pro with yosemite, 4gb ram, 500 gb ssd with 90 day warranty. It was serviced by apple and had been an apple business lease unit. I got it on ebay from a brick and mortar dealer for $700. It runs truly fast and cool. I'll probably uograde to 8 gb ram.. so yes you should be able to get what you want in a good used unit in your $$$ range.

5. Android300zx macrumors regular

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/macbook_pro/13

$829 with one year warranty and you can add apple care

7. Android300zx macrumors regular

I think you can even add Apple Care after the warranty period expires on the refurbished one. That gives you some time to save up some cash for the Apple Care. Amazon has Apple Care cheaper than Apple does.

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

By the end of the warranty period (12 months)

9. Android300zx macrumors regular

There you go OP. Sacrifice about 5 pint glasses of your favorite beer or 4 Venti Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Starbucks (overpriced as hell) and you'll be within budget. You'll get a newer laptop and not have to worry about buying one that hasn't been tested thoroughly.

10. Dweez macrumors 65816

Dweez

11. macbookupgrade thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It says I don't have permission to access the post. Maybe it's because I'm a new user.

As far as getting a new laptop, to get one with those specs would be around $1300. To get an older model (2011-2012) on Craigslist, eBay, or some third party, I would pay ~$600-700. By getting a 2011-2012 version, I also get a built-in CD drive, which is really what I'm looking for.

For checking out the laptop, here's what I plan to do. First, check out the serial numbers to make sure everything is stock and not stolen. Two, I will run a hardware test from boot to make sure everything is functional ( https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3348362?start=0&tstart=0 ). Three, restart and check USB ports, SD card slot, gigabit internet port, FireWire 800 port, minidisplay port, audio out port, power (charging) port, and CD drive. Four, I will inspect the cover/shell for any physical damage. Five, I will inspect the keyboard to make sure all keys are functional (if not, the laptop could need a new logic board, which will cost quite a bit). Six, peform a 3DMark test and check for dead pixels. Finally, run a performance test to check how much RAM is being used up with and without running any programs. I could also run a graphics test without it being plugged in to test for battery performance.

One thing I am a little worried about is how much a hard drive should last for a 2011-2012 model.

12. David58117 macrumors 65816

1. Go to USPS . com and fill out a change of address form (use an old address) - it costs $1 but will give you a 10% off coupon for Best Buy.

2. If you have a .edu email, sign up for a student discount on Best Buy..you get a $50 off coupon.

Should take less than 10 min to do both..

3. Go to Best Buy and get an air ($800 for 11", $900 for 13"). You can call before and try to find an open box for additional discount.

If you get the 11" air - you should save $130 if you can get both coupons.

Assuming tax is 8% where you live and you do get both coupons, your total after tax should be $740ish.

If you manage to snag an open box, you'll save even more. And if you want the 13", have them price match it to bhphotovideo (one of the companies they will match) for $819..

Superdrive's and external storage is cheap. I would much rather have a 2014 laptop that qualifies for a warranty and is brand new, than something used, out of warranty, that will leave you in the cold if it has problems.

13. macbookupgrade thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, those laptops aren't even close to the specs I am looking for (for example 128 GB). I don't want to want to buy an external drive and would want something more usable that's built-in. To upgrade the RAM and disk space myself, I'd be around $300 (probably more). If anyone has any other suggestions to lower the pricing in addition to education pricing, I'd be open to hear it.

14. calbear92, Mar 17, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

calbear92 macrumors newbie

Macbookupgrade,

Since you're new to the forums, the general consensus is that we recommend you get a new or refurbished one since they come with warranty. If you've learned anything about Apple in the last 2+ years, it's you NEED a warranty since there have been so many problems with Macs and iPhones and their disastrous 2014 roll out of their new software.

You are an adult and can make your own decision, but if you choose to go off the beaten path- you bear the entire risk. A 4 year old computer with a regular SATA HD is just begging to go bad. The logic board/graphic card could go bad (my Early 2008 model needed in a new SATA HD ~ 3 yrs old and then my graphics care/board died in November 2013). Physical Media is so pre-2010. SSDs are in and just about everything is delivered thru high speed internet connection. If on the rare occasion you need physical media, borrow the drive of another computer remotely.

My late 2013 13" MBP Retina has had issues with the computer becoming non-responsive. Apple said they couldn't reproduce the problem (but I showed them 198 threaded pages on support.apple.com on this issue). After the 2nd time taking it back for the same issue, they replaced the logic board under warranty.

So you've heard many others state the same thing, but you continue to want us to justify your decision to get a used 2008 Macbook? Sorry, that just doesn't make financial or logical sense. But if you don't want to listen to anyone else's advice- not sure why you are asking a forum for opinions.

Recommend: Get a Macbook Pro Retina/Air/MB and use a no interest/low interest financing. Apple offers this directly on their site.

Good luck to you.