Used MacBook Air... Fixable?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by KUguardgrl13, Mar 31, 2016.

1. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Hi! My fiancé is looking at buying a used early-2015 MacBook Air 13.3" with liquid damage. The owner had it "cleaned and restored" at a non-authorized repair place. It apparently powers on and charges normally, but the backlight doesn't work. She said t would take $300 to cover the part to potentially fix it. She's selling it for $150.

So I'm wondering what part it is that probably isn't working and how easy it would be to fix. My tech savvyness goes as far as following iFixit to open up my cMBP to fiddle with the hard drive and opening up my fat PS3 to clean it.

2. Willo34 macrumors regular

Willo34

I would advise you not to do it. The danger with liquid damage is that, usually, you do not see all the damaged caused immediately. It's known to happen that a few months later other functions stop working, which can all be related to the original liquid damage. Double check what the repair store did exactly. If they did a proper water damage restore repair it should be oke, but you are still taking a risk.
    Good luck.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I second what @Willo34 has written, and completely agree with it. On no account would I recommend buying a computer that has suffered from liquid damage. Ever. I wouldn't even accept one if it was gifted to me.

Save up and get a refurb, - the 2013 ones have an excellent spec and are at a good price - or buy an undamaged one, second hand, or used.

4. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

I would

5. KUguardgrl13 thread starter macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Whelp, luckily for us someone else responded faster than we did. I wasn't sure about it either, but it wasn't a ton of money to risk. But it's probably for the best since whatever new computer he gets will be for school. He's just not sure whether he wants a Mac or a Surface Book.