Used Macbook Air with old owner's apps

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vonbraun, Feb 6, 2013.

1. vonbraun macrumors newbie

Hi there, I've recently purchased a used MBA with the previous owner's iLife suite. I want to do a fresh install, and was wondering how I can keep the previous iLife suite ?

Thanks

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Hi there, I've recently purchased a used MBA with the previous owner's iLife suite. I want to do a fresh install, and was wondering how I can keep the previous iLife suite ?"

What I would do:
    1. Clone the contents of the hard drive to an external drive, using CarbonCopyCloner
    2. Boot from the cloned drive
    3. Re-initialize the internal drive using Disk Utility
    4. Install a completely fresh system onto the internal drive
    5. Boot from the fresh system and at the appropriate moment, choose to migrate accounts and apps from the external clone.
    6. Be aware that Migration Assistant doesn't give you the option to pick and choose amongst migrated apps. You may have to delete some unwanted apps after the migration has taken place.

3. vonbraun thread starter macrumors newbie

That's interesting. You have to bear in mind, that I've created my own user account and already have my own music and videos downloaded on there.

Will that make a difference ? I just want to get rid of the windows partition, I will miss it, but it's taking up 200gb of space, I wish instead I could just push some of that space back to the mac partition.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"I just want to get rid of the windows partition"

Have you tried running BootCamp, and see if it gives you the option to delete the Windows partition?

WARNING:
    I wouldn't do this without backing up first. Be forewarned!