Used Macbook Pro Battery Cycles Q

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Toucansma, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Toucansma, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

Toucansma macrumors member

Hi,

Looking to buy a base 13" MBPro from 2/2011 with 141 Charge Cycles and a full charge of about 5347 mah. Does that sound reasonable for its age? Is it still a good battery (at least based on that)?

Thanks,

Sam

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your battery health and cycles and computer uptime, among many other things. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

It is perfectly normal if your battery health (maximum capacity) is more or less than 100%, even when brand new, or if it fluctuates up or down over time. For further details, read the CHECKING STATUS AND HEALTH section of the following link.

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

3. Toucansma, Feb 3, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2013

Toucansma thread starter macrumors member

Thanks though I looked through that already. I don't have the computer to run tests hence why I was asking.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Got it. Now that I re-read your post, I see that by "looking at" you mean you're looking to buy, not describing one you own. That capacity is roughly 92% of original, so yes, it's fine.

5. Toucansma thread starter macrumors member

Sorry, it was worded confusingly. Thank you so much!

Sam

6. Erasmus macrumors 68030

Erasmus

If it helps, my MBP (in sig), 3/2011, has 121 cycles, and 97% health.

These new non-replaceable batteries appear to last FOREVER, so I wouldn't worry about the number of cycles, unless it was up over 300.

They are SUPPOSED to last ~1000 cycles, with 80% health.

7. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Non-Replaceable battery? I had the bottom off of my MBP upgrading the RAM, and the battery looked like it was replaceable. Can someone verify this information? Thanks.

8. Mac Write macrumors member

The battery is not "User Replaceable" so if you replace it on your own, you void your warranty. Apple does not sell the batteries to end users. Apple is only charging about $20-$30 above what a user replaceable battery costs through Apple.

The built in battery is good for about 95% or the people with 6-7hrs+ of battery life.

9. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

Good news. It looks to be easily user replaceable.

Mid 2012:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Battery/10365/1

Early 2011:

http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Install...Unibody+Early+2011+Battery+Replacement/5116/1

And if under warranty I would send to Apple. But after the one year you can do it yourself. Keep in mind some of the AppleCare info on battery replacement is depending on issue with the Battery. I called Apple and got a generic answer. What I got from it was if it was worn out via use it is not under warranty. Only if there is a defect.

10. robvas macrumors 68020

Hard part is finding one to buy...