Used MacBook Pro or New Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BloodSugar8, Aug 14, 2008.

1. BloodSugar8 macrumors newbie

Hello, i am going to be a freshman in college this year and have been planning on buying a new Mac for quite some time. I was thinking i would make a trip to the apple store this weekend and buy a Black Macbook. Which would cost about 1400 without tax with the college promo. But i was on craigslist this morning and someone in my area is selling a lightly used Macbook Pro for 1400 with some apps already downloaded (noteably Final Cut Pro). Which should i buy? The Macbook Pro is the one released in June 07
    - $2799. 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, 17". GeForce 8600M GT 256MB

2. tmelvin macrumors 6502

tmelvin

If it's in your area, I'd ask to go over and see it. If not, I'd shy away and stick with the new one, or get a refurb. There have been some horror stories on eBay and Craigslist...

3. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

pretty good deal, the mbp. what are you going to major in? just so you know, the june 07 mbp has a slower processor then this years. if your major doesn't concerny any real music/video/photo editing, i would suggest the macbook. it would be hard to carry around a 17" around campus. i'm studying computer science and i have a macbook, its so much more mobile compared to the mbps. if you just want a video game laptop/internet/movies, stuff like that, go ahead and get the mbp. but make sure to trade in person and not through paypal.

4. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

If the MacBook is enough for your needs, then get that. I'm not a big fan of eBay and Craigslist when it comes to spending a lot of money.

5. BloodSugar8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah of course in person. I have no major for sure. But if i had to pick this moment i would go with Film and Video Studies as this is the first year my University is offering it. It wouldnt require much editing but maybe some.

6. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i agree, ebay is good for selling stuff, but i just dont know if i could buy something that costs so much

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

The 17" is pretty big... I've seen one at the apple store while picking up my then new macbook. it's simply huge, although it does look gorgeous. anyway, besides the graphics chip, the macbook has better or equal specs aside from the screen/aluminum casing/ etc. go with the macbook, since it is new and the processor is penryn.

8. BloodSugar8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could someone please explain the benefits of penryn? or drawbacks of whatever the MBP has?

9. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

The Penryn runs a lot cooler as the santa rosa mbp. There is one downside, the cpu that runs in the black macbook has 3 MB (L2) cache, the mbp has 4 MB cache. If you are going to do Film and Video studies I would take a shot at the mbp. If that doesn't work out I would get a 2.2 ghz 15,4 mbp from the refurb store.

10. BloodSugar8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You, still looking for some more advice

11. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

Should be common sense, but if you do end up going with the craigslist MBP, just make sure you bring someone to come along with you and meet the person in a public place. (lots of money + stranger + dark alley = :eek:)

Luckily I've never had any problems, but most of my deals (both buying and selling) have only been for a few hundred bucks.

But back to the original question, maybe ask the seller for the s/n of MBP just to verify warranty and/or if you can add applecare onto it. I'm also with the poster above tho, the 17" is HUGE and probably not too realistic carting around to classes and all. If you have the time, go to an Apple Store and check out the size differences in person, it's quite dramatic.

Also, think of the bag/case you'll need to get... the 13" MB fits in a backpack or anything really. The hardcovers are pretty cheap and nice looking too. The 17", you're probably going to need a rolling suitcase or something! heh.

--rob

12. Rmafive macrumors 6502

I would definitely go with the mbp, even though it runs warmer. It also, I think, has a faster graphics card than the present mb. :)

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Stay away from the macbook pro. The nvidia graphics cards are failing at an alarming rate. And the software that he's including is pirated or not licensed to you, just like all of those other deals on ebay and craigslist. Don't think that $5000 worth of illegal software boosts the value of the computer. The MacBook will serve you fine and you'll also be able to get a significantly longer warranty on it.

14. BloodSugar8 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went with the Pro. it is excellent, and in better condition than he had originally made it seem. it was bought for 1400 and i got a free hard plastic case. I have restored it to factory settings and installed leopard. So it is all good. Thank You all for helping me make an informed decision. i feel like it was the right choice

15. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

There are plenty of scam posts here in Jacksonville for MBPs listed local then turns out their in London (at least posted twice a week). I personally would go for the macbook if you're on a budget plus you get the 1 year warranty.

16. SDLSteve macrumors 6502

Opps, should have read the last post. Congratulations.

17. belunos macrumors member

Seriously, grats on that.. that's a great price. And dude is right, I see the MBP scan at least 4 times a week at that exact price, so I'm glad it worked out

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

This is great advice, and what I would do if I was in your shoes.

Congrats on your new computer.:)

19. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

20. Gaelic1 macrumors member

There is the same macbook pro for sale at $1400 on Craigs list in the Chico, Ca area. Unfortunately, he happens to be in London but will work a swell deal for you! This is an old scam that has been around for years. Forget it!;)

21. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

If it's not too much effort... could you report back and let us know if you're experiencing any problems with the chipset?