Used Macbook Pro Retina (2012) value after Tuesday?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by adam83, Oct 20, 2013.

1. adam83, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2013

adam83 Guest

Given that we are right up against the Apple Special Event, is it even worth trying to dump my 15" Macbook Pro Retina (2012) on ebay today - or is the market value on Wednesday going to be roughly the same? I was planning on listing it at $1300 Buy It Now.

IE: how much (if anything) am I losing by waiting until Wednesday to put it on ebay? I realize the time to sell was a month ago, I'm just trying to figure out the best option at this point.

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

3. adam83 thread starter Guest

did that - gazelle's quote is $750... It's worth more than that.

4. sarakn macrumors 6502a

sarakn

Right now, your macbook is 2 generations old. If you wait until Tuesday/Wednesday, it'll be 3 generations. Most people may not know a new macbook is coming, but they'll know when one arrives. Sell now.

5. StockDC2 macrumors regular

It's 1 generation old. I understand what you're trying to say but your wording makes it sound like his MBP is a 3rd gen when in actuality, it is a 2nd gen.

OP, a lot of people on this forum is blowing this whole "Haswell" thing out of proportion. No one knows anything until the new MBPs are released (if even this month). Even if the new ones come out, current MBPs won't lose much value.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

When reading the forums, you would think that Haswell is better than a cure for cancer,or would solve the world's energy problems, or non-Haswell machines will suddenly be unable to even boot. Plus I bet most non-techies wouldn't know what Haswell even means.

I think the "Retina" is almost as overblown.

7. ano0oj macrumors 6502

bigger question is, why are you replacing a 1 year old laptop? You'll be wasting a lot of money if you decide to upgrade yearly or even every 2 years

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Agree with others, why the urgency to sell? Does the new one will do something for you the old one doesn't do or it is defective? Suggest you keep it instead.

9. mewellsar macrumors newbie

I was hoping the price was going to drop to around the $1100 range on a used retina on ebay.

10. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Yes indeed. At precisely midnight tomorrow, all non-haswell macs will burst into flames. They will be worthless. The software they ran flawlessly today will mysteriously come to a crawl by tomorrow's end. :eek:

Everybody sell. Before it's too late!

11. adam83 thread starter Guest

I've just used the hell out the machine in the past year and while it remains fully functional there are a few dead pixels on the screen and I've managed over 1000 battery cycles so I thought I'd trade it in now for clean machine.

Trading it in for the prices I've seen online would mean close to $4 per day of usage cost so I'm just going to hold on to the machine for the time being.

12. Striker-UMB macrumors regular

Over 1000 battery cycles in a year is extreme man wow:eek:, do you live on that thing:confused:. My 2009 MacBook Unibody had like 465 cycles when I replaced it with my 15" rMBP this summer, and I used that thing like everyday for 4 years.