used macbook pro with ghost White spots.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EgEm, Jul 12, 2011.

1. EgEm macrumors member

Hi. I just received my used Macbook pro 15" unibody 2009 i bought from ebay. the computer is working flawessly (way faster than my 2006 iMac) and i really love it.

The problem is, after a few hours using it, i just noticed some white spots, on the left side of the screen. There's only 2 spots, barely noticeable and as i said, the computer works just fine. its something like this:

[​IMG]

But again, only 2 white spots, very tiny spots. I just want to know... its ok?, i mean, the seller didnt even say something about it on ebay, but i just want to know if the spots arent going to grow or if the computer screen is about to fail. If its like that, i still have 30 day warranty (i bought it on gazelle store) so its ok.

I dont really want to return it, i have a lot of work to do and i need my laptop, but i just want to know if those tiny spots are not going to keep growing or if my screen is going to fail. thank you.

2. Big-TDI-Guy, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011

Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

From the pic - those look like stains or scratches. Try cleaning it - search the forums - there are more posts concerning this topic than you can handle.

Stuck / Open pixels tend to be very tiny white spots that will be viewable on a black screen. If they do not show as white when the screen is black - it's something on the outside.

Edit - couple more things: If that had a keyboard cover, or a misaligned key - it could have been rubbing the screen while it was closed.

If there is light bleed-thru from a dark screen - and it's NOT tiny specks - it may be a damaged / defective polarizer - that = $ to fix. (new screen) So I'd try to rule out the surface scuffs vs subcutaneous aberrations - as surface scuffs may be remedied by cleaning or application of a screen protector / cover - lower than that, not so much.