Used Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by respibob, Feb 26, 2012.

1. respibob macrumors newbie

I purchased a Macbook Pro from a friend of mine who didn't like it. It is about 1 year old and she has Lion 10.7.3 on it. I would like to do a fresh install but the CD I have is the older OS. My question, if I do it will I have to pay for Lion to upgrade? Thanks

2. simsaladimbamba

3. respibob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help. I got it to work with my friend's Apple login but then when it was done everything was exactly the same. I think I will use the disk that came with it and buy my own Lion. Thanks again

4. /user/me macrumors 6502

So if you don't like Lion, why are you buying your own copy?

5. shootist macrumors regular

That is because you didn't wipe/erase/format the drive before you did the reinstall.

Just reinstalling over the top of the existing OS isn't going to change anything.

6. respibob thread starter macrumors newbie

I figured that out about the erasing drive today! I will have to try again and do it right this time. I do like it, just all my friends stuff is on there and it drives me crazy.....like when I do an iMovie, it says directed by him, etc. I am just anal lol

7. shootist macrumors regular

When you do it again connect a external drive and download the Lion install files to that then follow the direction to make you own USB Lion install stick. that wy you will never have to go back out to the net to reinstall at a later date. And you will have a USB stick that can boot the computer and reinstall in case the drive fails.

8. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

You could also make a new Administrator account and delete your friend's account and none of their stuff will be on the computer except their apps.

If you buy your own copy of Lion, you can simply boot into the Lion Recovery HD and wipe the Lion installation and then re-install the OS when it asks for your ID. Then nothing but your own information will be on the computer.