Used Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by inhalexhale, Apr 16, 2010.

1. inhalexhale macrumors member

With the update not really being what I had hoped for, I can't justify spending the money apple is asking on a new one. I was looking forward to buying my first Mac though, so I've been looking for a used one with the hopes someone who "absolutely needed" the newer ones would dump their current one cheap. I found this for $1300, is it a good deal or do you think I could find better? I want to try and talk him down to 1k.

- 17 inch , Anti-glare display
    - 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    - 500GB HDD / 4GB RAM
    - ExpressCard / 34 slot
    - Built -in - 8 hour battery
    - NVIDIA GeForce 9400 + 9600M GT with 512MB
    - He also said he could install iWork as well

Also, any advice on checking for problems? I've never owned or worked with a Mac so I'm clueless :eek:

Thanks!

2. Patrick J macrumors 65816

Patrick J

For 1k it is a good offer.

3. inhalexhale thread starter macrumors member

Any advice on how to check it for problems?

4. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

? The updated MBPs rock. They FTW. What more would you want?

Having said that, Macs are very safe used purchases. My first MBP was used; got it (carefully) off Craigslist, owner had all packaging materials etc. And, it had some AppleCare remaining. That was priceless. So, if you go used, have that be one of the things to look for. (If it's less than a year old and doesn't have Applecare, you can buy Applecare yourself.)

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

If the computer is in excellent working order: $1300 would be very good price. I wouldn't sell it for that! Just make sure it isn't stolen (ask to see an Apple Receipt)............ price looks that good to me.

6. inhalexhale thread starter macrumors member

How inclusive is the Applecare? For example, I had a DELL desktop and after remote diagnosis, they would send a tech with w/e part wasn't working and he would replace it. Usually about a 2-4 day turnaround. Is the Applecare similar? How does it work?

7. inhalexhale thread starter macrumors member

bump

looking for advice on how to check for defects. I remember reading there were ways to check for heat issues, etc.

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

I've always just taken my MBP to the Apple Store and picked it up a couple days later, fixed. Oh, and I had a power supply go, and they just fed-ex'd me a new one. Easy.

Dunno if there are additional options, or how they handle things if you're out in the boonies. Suggest you call and ask.

9. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Great article on Applecare: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/04/18/applecare-without-apple-still-worth-it/

10. johnsy macrumors 6502

Apple care - is it worth it? It depends. Just look to apple care price. Apple accessed component price and the risk (emphasis on the risk) and priced apple care accordingly.

mac mini $149 price range 599- 799
    imac- $169 price 1199- 1999
    mac pro $249 price 2499- 3299

macboook air- $249 price 1499- 1799
    macboook - $249 price 999
    13" mackbook pro $249 price 1199- 1499

15" macbook pro $349 price 1799- 2199
    17" macbook pro $349 price 2299

As you can see apple care for home computers cost less than laptops. However one interesting thing is that there is a difference between 13" mbp and 15" or 17" mbp. Of course you might max out price by upgrading components, not just going for standard model. Other thing is that in general apple laptops are sold more than anything else.